Oscar's Cafe and Bar
Brunch with Mimosas for 2 or 4 at Oscar's Cafe & Bar
- Save 44%
- 22 purchased
What You'll Get
Choose Between Two Options
- $19 for brunch for two ($34 value)
- $35 for brunch for four ($68 value)
Brunch includes one entree and one mimosa per diner.Three Things to Know About Hollandaise Sauce
Hollandaise gives velvety richness to several of the dishes on the menu. Read on to appreciate the hard work behind the smooth sauce.
1. Hollandaise is one of the five mother sauces in classic French cooking. The mother sauces—béchamel, espagnole, hollandaise, tomato, and velouté—are so named because they form the bases that other sauces are built upon. With a few added ingredients and steps, a hollandaise becomes the béarnaise for steaks or a clever way to hide jewels at the bottom of a bucket. On its own, however, it's simply a combination of butter, egg yolks, and lemon or vinegar.
2. Despite its simplicity, it can give a new chef nightmares. Like a vinaigrette, hollandaise is an emulsion, which means it combines oil and water in a way they don't naturally combine. But with a vinaigrette, you don't have to worry about heat and timing. Add heat too fast and you start to scramble the egg yolks; add butter too fast and you risk a "broken," or separated, sauce. A double-boiler is often recommended for control.
3. No one really knows how hollandaise it got its name. Some stories speak of the sauce being made for the king of the Netherlands during his visit to France as an imitation of a Dutch sauce. Others say it was named for the rich dairy products that made Holland famous and sparked an invasion of Belgian cats.
Oscar's Cafe & Bar Website
PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON May 25, 2022
PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES 120 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE
map & location
125 East Tahquitz Canyon Way, Palm Springs, CA 92262
760-325-1188 | get directions