• A One-Night Stay for Two in a Standard Room, Sundays through Thursdays ($118) or Fridays ($135)
• Two $25 Spa Vouchers Toward Facials or Massages
• Continental Breakfast for Two
• Combine Vouchers to Stay Up to Three Nights
With its quaint tree-lined streets and boutique shops, its harbor views and colonial charm, the small town of Essex, Connecticut, halfway between New York and Boston, seems frozen in time. But this throwback of a town on the Connecticut River wasn't always so welcoming. Attacked by the British during the War of 1812, Essex was under siege for much of its infancy. Today, that hard-fought history is on display at every turn, from the town's museums to Main Street itself.
One of these historic locales is The Griswold Inn, which is not only one of the oldest continuously operated inns in the country but also one of the first places the British seized during the attack of 1814. Hailed by New York Magazine as "the real McCoy," this 33-room inn is situated right on Main Street. Rooms are appointed with antique furnishings, including four-poster beds and fine reproductions, with views of charming village life peeking through picture windows. Cozy up to the fireplace at the on-site Tap Room, featured in Esquire's Best Bars in America list.
Come dinnertime at the inn, let your taste buds simmer over a selection of seasonal dishes such as seared Stonington sea scallops, braised short ribs of beef, or artichoke-crusted Atlantic salmon. Wash it down with a selection from the inn's award-winning wine list or a pint of the signature Revolutionary Ale.
• Use your $25 voucher for a facial or massage at the Spa of Essex
• Get a dose of culture at the Florence Griswold Museum of American Impressionism
• Catch a musical at the award-winning Goodspeed Opera House
PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE
PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON June 30, 2013
Serenity in Small-Town Connecticut
- from $118