Comfortable oceanfront hotel overlooks the Ocean City boardwalk and includes an outdoor pool and coffee shop with breakfast and lunch items
Hotel at a Glance: Howard Johnson Oceanfront Inn
The Howard Johnson Oceanfront Inn overlooks the Ocean City boardwalk, just steps from Jolly Roger Amusement Park’s Splash Mountain. Here, you can shoot down the 45-foot-tall half-pipe slide, hitch a ride down the lazy river, or careen through the pitch-black Black Hole slides.
- Grab a bite in the coffee shop, which serves breakfast and lunch.
- Go for a swim in the hotel’s outdoor pool.
- In-room amenities: Each guest room features a balcony, flat-screen TV, microwave, refrigerator, and coffeemaker.
- A day trip away from Washington, DC; Baltimore; and Cape May, New Jersey
- Nearby attractions: The Ocean City boardwalk, several golf courses, and Berlin, Maryland winner of Budget Travel’s 9th annual America’s Coolest Small Town contest.
Ocean City, Maryland: Family-Friendly Boardwalk next to the Atlantic
Along Ocean City’s century-old boardwalk, you can savor wild-caught blue crab, play old-fashioned arcade games, and watch candy makers spin colorful saltwater taffy. The lively boardwalk, which stretches for 3 miles along Maryland’s eastern shore, helped earn Ocean City a spot on USA Today’s list of the “10 great places to have some fun on a boardwalk.” Kids can ride a Ferris wheel, roller coaster, and more thrilling rides at Jolly Roger at the Pier. Young children can visit Jolly Roger at 30th Street to ride a carousel, iron horse train, helicopters, and many more attractions.
Assateague Island National Seashore—a 37-mile stretch of salt marshes running from Ocean City down to Virginia—offers a peaceful reprieve from the boardwalk’s constant activity. The island’s famous wild horses gallop on the shores, and you can climb up a vintage, candy-striped lighthouse, or hike the seaside forests to spot birds, including great horned owls, ruby-crowned kinglets, and great blue herons.