What You Get
- Stay for two in a pool-view double-queen room, ocean-view double-queen room, or dune-view double-queen tower room
- Up to two kids 17 or younger stay free
Hotel at a Glance: Shutters on the Banks
Shutters on the Banks seems more like a large vacation home than a hotel. Set directly on the beach, this white-sided, green-roofed inn features spacious rooms with kitchenettes, all within steps of the sand and the beach-themed restaurants of Kill Devil Hills. Staying here, you’ll be close to Outer Banks attractions such as five nearby lighthouses and the Wright Brothers National Memorial.
- Refurnished guest rooms feature refrigerators and coffee makers.
- Room with a view: From your hotel’s window or balcony, you’ll be able to see ocean views, dunes and sea oats, or the hotel’s pool.
- Walk to the quaint shops of Kill Devil Hills.
- Wake-up call: Each morning, a complimentary hot continental breakfast is served.
- Splash into the heated indoor saltwater pool and hot tub.
- Direct beach access: From this hotel’s doors, it’s only a short trek to the public beach.
The Northern Beaches of North Carolina’s Outer Banks: Idyllic Towns, Sand Dunes, and Wright Brothers History
Dubbed the “East Coast’s recreational playground” by Frommer’s, the Outer Banks is a string of narrow barrier islands that hugs the northern coast of North Carolina. Vacationers have flocked to the islands’ postcard-worthy beaches and idyllic villages since the 18th century. The most northerly island in the Outer Banks, Bodie Island, is home to five such towns, known collectively as the Northern Beaches: Duck, Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Nags Head.
Head to Kill Devil Hills to see the Wright Brothers National Memorial Park, where a large granite boulder commemorates the spot where the world’s first powered flight took off, in 1903. The memorial also includes replicas of the brothers’ early gliders. Just outside the town of Nags Head lie some of the East Coast’s tallest natural sand dunes at Jockey’s Ridge State Park. Strong winds off the ocean constantly reshape the dunes and make the area a popular spot for hang-gliding and flying kites. Make the drive south to Cape Hatteras National Seashore, nicknamed the “Graveyard of the Atlantic” for the many ships that have crashed into its dangerous sandbars during storms. Here, you can catch a glimpse of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, whose iconic exterior is a swirl of black and white stripes.
Pool-View Double-Queen Room, Ocean-View Double-Queen Room, and Dune-View Double-Queen Tower Room
- Two queen beds
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 4
- Adding occupants above standard: $10 per night for each additional guest 18 or older; kids 17 or younger stay free
- Check in: 4 p.m.
- Check out: 11 a.m.
- Parking: free
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property.
- Pet policy: pets are not allowed inside the property.
- Accessibility: please contact property for handicap-accessibility requests or options.
- Room upgrades: upgrades may be available by calling the property or at check-in for an additional cost.
- Free Internet
- Free continental breakfast
- Oceanfront gazebo
- Saltwater pools (indoor and outdoor)
- Hot tub (indoor)
- Exercise room
- Direct beach access
- Free parking
The Fine Print
- Rates may vary by date and are subject to availability
- Dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased
- 4-day cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable; reservations made within cancellation window are non-refundable
- No-shows will be charged total LivingSocial rate
- Traveler name must match ID at time of check-in
- No refunds will be processed by LivingSocial after check-in
- Must be 21 or older to check in
- Credit card required at check-in.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Shutters on the Banks
- Nearest airports: Norfolk International Airport (ORF; 85 mi.), Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport (PHF; 109 mi.)
- Distance from Virginia Beach, VA: 91 miles