Hotel at a Glance: Super 8 by Wyndham Freeport Brunswick Area
In every guest room, large black-and-white photos depict coastal Maine. In one, a lighthouse stands along the craggy shore, and in another, a canoeist is set against the backdrop of a hilly shoreline. Guests can enjoy this sort of scenery even in cooler months by hiking and snowshoeing around the bay in nearby Wolfe’s Neck Woods State Park.
- Best way to wake up: free continental breakfast with waffles and fruit
- In-room amenities include microwaves and mini fridges.
- Free WiFi lets travelers share their vacation photos.
- What’s nearby: Independent shops and restaurants are a few minutes’ drive away in either direction.
- Local flavor: The hotel is across from Maine Beer Company and down the street from Maine Distilleries, which makes small-batch spirits from Maine potatoes.
Brunswick, Maine: Scholarly New England Town with Historic Architecture
Cobbled streets, a rocky coastline, and historic, steepled churches—Brunswick has New England style to spare. The former 17th-century mill village sits at the gateway to Maine’s midcoast region, an area known for its beautiful harbors and growing arts scene. Every town along the coast has established a distinctive character. For its part, Brunswick is a culturally rich destination anchored by the presence of Bowdoin College, which U.S. News & World Report named 1 of the top 10 national liberal-arts colleges. There’s no shortage of enriching activities on campus, including plays in two theaters and concerts in the music hall. The Bowdoin College Museum of Art, one of the oldest art museums in the nation, boasts a fine collection of more than 15,000 objects dating from ancient times to the present.
Downtown, the brick sidewalk and 19th-century architecture harks back to the olden days. In winter, the pedestrian-friendly district looks a lot like a Currier and Ives print, complete with carriage rides and an ice-skating rink. Specialty shops and fine restaurants make it a great place for shoppers and foodies alike.