Resort-style property along Westbrook’s coast boasts ocean-view rooms, private restaurants, a seasonal poolside bar, and spa treatments
Hotel at a Glance: Water’s Edge Resort & Spa
The Water’s Edge Resort & Spa has given summertime visitors access to Westbrook’s coastline for over a hundred years. The property began as a summer beach cottage for Adolf and Jennie Knothe, and has since transformed into a property worthy of the word “resort.” Guests have access to resort-style amenities, from indoor and outdoor pools to live entertainment at the resort’s seasonal outdoor bar.
- Take a walk along the beach, and don’t forget to snap a few pictures of the picturesque coastline.
- Relax in the spa, complete with a sauna and a steam room; specialists offer soothing massages and facials.
- Grab a bite at one of the five restaurants, such as Dattilo Fine Italian (with ocean views) or the seasonal outdoor Sunset Bar & Grill.
- Put your feet up in a relaxing room decked out in beachy New England–style decor—think sandy tones punctuated by sea-blue hues.
- Go shopping within the wedding-focused Shops at Water’s Edge, and check out bridal boutiques, a hair salon, and more.
Westbrook, Connecticut: Idyllic Seafaring Town with All-American Town Center
Situated just west of the spot where the Connecticut River meets Long Island Sound, Westbrook has nurtured a rich seafaring and fishing tradition for centuries. The neighboring town’s most famous resident, however, was a movie star—Katharine Hepburn, who built a sprawling home in Old Saybrook with views of the water and the lighthouse. According to locals, Hepburn swam in the sound nearly every day, well into her 80s, even when the beach was covered in snow.
One of the oldest towns on the Connecticut Shoreline, Westbrook has all the trappings of a small New England village: sailboats bobbing in the harbor, clapboard homes, and a quaint town center lined with cafés, antique shops, and churches. You’re liable to see couples paddling kayaks and canoes around the coves. Visitors looking for a louder scene can hit the tables at the Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun casinos, both located less than 40 minutes away.