Hotel at a Glance: Waterside Inn
The Waterside Inn is a charming place to stay on the scenic Chincoteague Island. On Virginia’s only resort island, guest rooms are comfortable and homey, with free WiFi, a coffee maker, and private balconies overlooking Chincoteague Channel. Hotel’s private marina offers boat docking and a 220-foot fishing and crabbing pier—just 1/2 mile from the Historic Main Street shops, bars, and restaurants and less than 3 miles from the entrance to the Assateague Beach and Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge, where the world-famous wild ponies roam free.
- Full breakfast each morning includes cooked-to-order Belgian waffles.
- Soak stress away in the solar-heated indoor hot tub (adults-only).
- Explore the coastline at Assateague Island National Seashore.
- Witness a rocket launch at the nearby Wallops Flight Facility on Waterside’s bayfront balconies and pier that offer some of the best views of the site.
- Warm up in the seasonally heated outdoor pool which looks onto the waterfront.
Chincoteague, Virginia: Sleepy Fishing Village with Unspoiled Coastline near Assateague Island
An island along the northern Virginia coastline, Chincoteague has the charm of a worn-in fishing village. There are no noisy boardwalks or sky-scraping hotels here—just quiet shops and virgin beaches. A popular way to explore the island’s winding waterways is on a boat tour; many make stops along the way for passengers to collect seashells or sample a raw oyster or two.
Be sure to cross the bay to neighboring Assateague Island to explore the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Its most famous residents are the Chincoteague wild ponies, who’ve lived on the island for hundreds of years. There’s another herd of wild horses further north along the Assateague National Seashore, a sprawling stretch of unspoiled beaches with nary a condo or billboard in sight.