Traditional-style Japanese house and garden features koi pond and structures, showcasing the history of Japanese culture in Philadelphia
About This Deal
- Shofuso is a 17th century-style Japanese house and nationally-ranked garden that reflects the history of Japanese culture in Philadelphia. Shofuso includes three garden areas, a natural pond stocked with koi, and the largest collection of murals by artist Hiroshi Senju outside of Japan.
- Adult tickets valid for customers ages 18+; child tickets valid for customers ages 5–17
- Free admission for children under the age of 5
- Free parking
- Shofuso offers free tours to all guest
- Customers can spend some time outdoors in a socially distanced setting while enjoying the beauty of the pond and gardens.
- Not wheelchair- or scooter-accessible
- Not easily accessible to users of walkers, canes, or prosthetics (permitted in the house as long as they have rubber tips or are covered in a soft protective covering to preserve the historic flooring; for more information, please see Title II of the ADA)
- Shofuso follows guidance from the CDC and the City of Philadelphia to limit the spread of COVID-19. If you have additional questions or any other COVID-19 related inquiries, e-mail email@example.com
- Click here to view FAQ and Covid-19 Protocols
About Shofuso, Japanese House & Garden
Staff Size: 2–10 people
Average Duration of Services: 30–60 minutes
Pro Tip: Be prepared to remove your shoes. Visitors should wear or bring socks to tour the Japanese House.
Handicap Accessible: No
Parking: Parking lot Please be sure not to leave any valuables in your car due to a recent spate of break-ins in Fairmount Park targeting cars with clearly visible bags and laptops. Before visiting, double-check that to see that you have your wallet, camera, and other personal items. We are not responsible for theft or damage to vehicles or contents.
Most Popular Attraction/Offering: Feeding the koi fish in the pond.
Recommended Age Group: All Ages
Q&A with Kim Andrews, Executive Director
I'm a first-timer. How do you get me ready for the experience?
Visitors should be prepared to remove their shoes to enter the Japanese House. Bring or wear socks, or we can provide peds.
What is the one feature of your business that you're most proud of?
Shofuso is the embodiment of friendship between Japan and Philadelphia from 1876 to present day.
What’s your favorite part of your job?
Maintaining the Japanese garden to the highest standards.
Is there anything else you want to add that we didn't cover?
We have the third-ranked Japanese garden in North America, according to the Journal of Japanese Gardening.