Into the Wild with Zoo Experts
Classic Escapes • Nairobi, Kenya
- A Ten-Day Kenyan Safari for One Guest, Including:
- Round-Trip Airfare via Ethiopian Airlines from Dulles International Airport in Washington, DC, to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, Kenya
- Round-Trip Ground Transport among Airport, Hotels, and Sightseeing Destinations
- Seven Nights of Luxury Accommodations with Breakfast in Nairobi and All Meals on Safari
- Wildlife Viewing from Minibus Accompanied by Professional Naturalist and Zoo Escort
Wildlife doesn't seem so wild behind plexiglass. Meet the king of the jungle outside the zoo with this week's Escape to Kenya.
Return to the pride lands on a Classic Escapes safari for one guest.* You'll travel with an expert from the Philadelphia Zoo May 14 to 24 ($3,196); Woodland Park Zoo September 6 to 15 ($3,997); Fort Worth Zoo September 8 to 17 ($3,997); Zoo Atlanta September 19 to 28 ($3,997); Brevard Zoo October 10 to 19 ($3,898); North Carolina Zoo Society November 7 to 16 ($3,496); or Utah's Hogle Zoo November 14 to 23 ($3,496).
Your ten-day expedition includes round-trip airfare via Ethiopian Airlines from Dulles International Airport in Washington, DC, to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, Kenya, plus all ground transportation among the airport, hotels, and sightseeing destinations. You'll enjoy seven nights of luxury accommodations—not to mention breakfast in Nairobi and all meals on safari.
Get a taste of royal treatment on your first night in Nairobi's Safari Park Hotel & Casino, a five-star property fit for those at the top of the food chain. The following day, you'll travel to the Samburu and Buffalo Springs Reserves.
A professional naturalist and a zoo curator will be your advisors, while experienced guides drive the minibus and introduce you to rare and endangered species you won't find elsewhere. "Samburu National Reserve showcases arid specialists such as the Beisa oryx and Somali ostrich," says BBC Travel. For two nights, you'll sleep in a luxurious en suite tent at Ashnil Samburu Camp.
Continue your tour of the realm by ascending the slopes of Mount Kenya. You'll spend the night at Serena Mountain Lodge, where colobus and Sykes's monkeys will visit your veranda in hopes of snatching a morsel. A watering hole and salt lick on the property attract herds of elephant and buffalo, which you can observe from the lodge's viewing deck or the strategically placed photo-hide just yards away from the animals.
In the morning, move on to visit your subjects in Lake Nakuru National Park, famous for the millions of flamingos that flock to its waters. Look hard and you might glimpse napping leopards camouflaged in the acacia trees, then retire to Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge to watch the sun set over the pink-plumed lake.
At last, arrive in the heart of the pride lands—The Maasai Mara National Reserve—to behold awe-inspiring scenes of the savanna. Each year from July through October, millions of wildebeest and other hoofed mammals cross these perilous grasslands on The Great Migration.
"Classic Kenya, archetypal Africa. It includes a world-famous savanna teeming with predators and prey," says National Geographic. "In residence are lions, cheetahs, elephants, antelopes, black rhinos, and other supporting-cast animals."
Though outnumbered, the big cats are the true monarchs of the Maasai Mara, fittingly called the Kingdom of Lions. Spend two nights in one of Ashnil Mara Camp's lavish tents, complete with walk-in closets.
With this week's Kenyan safari, go beyond the concrete enclosures to see the animal kingdom as nature intended.
For additional information, view Classic Escapes's full itinerary.
*Prices based on double occupancy. Add $895 for single occupancy. Prices do not include $525 in resort fees, park entrance fees, and taxes to be paid at the time of booking.
"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne—bubbling over with heartfelt gratitude for being alive.”-- Karen Blixen, Author of 'Out of Africa'
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Vouchers may not be combined to extend stay
- Reservations must be confirmed by April 1, 2012
- Merchant cancellation/re-scheduling policy applies; voucher subject to forfeiture
- $525 in resort and park fees will be collected at time of booking
- Fuel surcharges and airline taxes are included
- Air transportation can be included from other airports for an additional fee
- All pricing is based on double occupancy; single occupancy supplement is $895 per person, and will be charged at the time of booking
- Voucher includes round-trip ground transport among airport, hotels, and sightseeing destinations, seven-night luxury accommodations with breakfast in Nairobi and all meals on safari, and a wildlife viewing from minibus accompanied by a professional Naturalist and Zoo Escort
- Zoo escort and professional naturalist is provided on trips with 15 or more travelers
- All deal components must be redeemed during one stay
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON November 23, 2012 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON November 23, 2017 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON November 23, 2012 • Enjoy By November 23, 2012
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 34% savings