Northern California's Unsung Sweet Spot
Lakeport English Inn • Lakeport, CA
- A One-Night Stay for Two, Sundays through Fridays ($139) or Saturdays ($179) with a Three-Course Traditional English Breakfast for Two
- Complimentary Wine Tastings at Seven Area Wineries
- Two Glasses of Guinness, Specialty Guinness Brownies, and Homemade Guinness Ice Cream
- 4 p.m. Tea and Scones
Set on the banks of California's largest freshwater lake, and surrounded by Northern California's lesser-known wine regions, the town of Lakeport has long been overshadowed by Tahoe to the east and Napa and Sonoma to the south. But why?
Lake County's oldest town, established in 1855, boasts much of the allure of its guidebook-friendly neighbors. Just ask Karan and Hugh Mackey, proprietors of Lakeport English Inn, whose choice locale about 500 feet from the lake is just the beginning of the perks you'll encounter on this week's Escape.
Dive in on a one-night stay for two, Sundays through Fridays ($139) or Saturdays ($179), and get a traditional English breakfast for two, a wine tasting pass to seven area wineries, two glasses of Guinness, two specialty Guinness brownies with homemade Guinness ice cream, and 4 p.m. tea and scones.
Your hosts take their British heritage seriously; if you don't feel it in the gantlet of Guinness, you'll definitely feel it in their warm, aim-to-please hospitality. Check in to one of four rooms—the Napoleon, Scots Room, Elizabeth One, or Kensington—at this ten-room bed and breakfast built in 1875. Each is adorned with Victorian furniture, some feature Jacuzzi tubs while others boast balconies, and all come with king beds—except Elizabeth One, 'cause she's a queen, natch.
And your three-course breakfast? That begins with coffee, tea, juice, and granola, then moves on to fresh fruit smothered in Rebecca sauce (think Grand Marnier). For the homemade main course, expect the likes of eggs Benedict or a Spanish frittata.
Eat up! Your wine pass affords complimentary tastings at each of seven wineries around the lake (Ceàgo Vinegarden, Vigilance Winery & Vineyards, Shannon Ridge, Wildhurst Vineyards, Steele Wines, Chacewater Wines, Rosa d'Oro Winery), none more than 40 minutes from Lakeport.
And with Mendocino National Forest to the north—the state's only such wilderness area left unsullied by paved roads—and more than 100 miles of Clear Lake shoreline just a stone's skip away, there's no shortage of away-from-it-all fun in this unsung gem of a town.
Just be sure you keep it to yourself, lest the masses latch on and turn this stretch of Highway 29 into Silverado Trail's sequel.
"What we found was absolute perfection: Karan, the perfect hostess (warm, funny, and caring), the perfect inn (quaint but roomy, impressive but comfortable...), and the perfect ambiance (pub quiz, English garden, all things Britannia)."-- BedandBreakfast.com
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Must book reservations by October 1, 2012
- Entire value must be used in a single visit
- Limit 1 per reservation
- Reservations required and subject to availability
- Merchant cancellation/re-scheduling policy of 4 days applies; voucher subject to forfeiture
- May bring up to 2 additional guests in the Elizabeth Room; up to 1 additional guest in the Napoleon room; $15 fee applies per additional person
- Not valid on existing reservations
- Based upon double occupancy
- Blackout dates: 5/4-5/5, 5/29-5/31, 6/22-6/23, 7/4-7/6, 7/27-7/28, 9/9, 9/28-9/29, 10/5-10/6, 10/18-10/20
- 10% taxes and fees not included and payable upon arrival
- Must be 21 or over to consume alcohol
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON October 31, 2012 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON October 31, 2017 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON October 31, 2012 • Enjoy By October 31, 2012
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 49% savings