Unearthing Antiquity Along the Nile
Encounters Travel • Giza, Egypt
- A Ten-Day Tour of Egypt from October 19 to 28 or November 30 to December 9 ($2,390 per Person); or November 2 to 11, November 9 to 18, November 16 to 25, November 23 to December 2, or December 7 to 16 ($2,485 per Person)
- Round-Trip Flights from JFK to Cairo International Airport via Egypt Air, 24-Hour Airport Arrival and Departure Transfers, and All Other Ground Transportation
- Three Nights in Four- and Five-Star Hotels, Two Nights Aboard Sleeper Trains, and Three Nights Aboard Nile Spirit Dahabiya Riverboat
- Eight Breakfasts, Three Lunches, and Five Dinners
- Local Egyptologist Guides and Tipping Kitty
The 1922 discovery of King Tut's tomb sparked worldwide fascination with the lost treasures of ancient Egypt. Grab some of the gilded past for yourself—and feel like a pharaoh while you're at it—with this week's un-khamun Escape: a ten-day tour of the Nile valley courtesy of Encounters Travel.
Travel from October 19 to 28 or November 30 to December 9 ($2,390 per person). Or, visit from November 2 to 11, November 9 to 18, November 16 to 25, November 23 to December 2, or December 7 to 16 ($2,485 per person). *
The package includes round-trip flights from JFK to Cairo International Airport via Egypt Air, 24-hour airport transfers, and all other ground transportation. Also provided are eight breakfasts, three lunches, and five dinners. Local guides—all of whom are fully trained Egyptologists—and an included tipping kitty ensure you'll be in expert hands throughout your trip.
When you arrive, you'll get a kingly escort to the palatial Oasis Hotel, a four-star property minutes from the iconic Pyramids of Giza. Your personal Egyptologist will brief you before a sunset camel ride around the pyramids, the lone survivors of the original Seven Wonders of the World.
You'll struggle to mask your glee on a visit to the Egyptian Museum in central Cairo, home to the treasured Tutankhamun exhibit. Next, it's back to Giza for a visit to the Sphinx and an insider tour of the Pyramids before catching your overnight train to Aswan.
Spend the next three days cruising along the mighty Nile aboard the Nile Spirit dahabiya, overnighting on the luxurious riverboat. You'll tour the southern city of Aswan, including the romantic island temple complex of Philae. Explore the colorful souks and markets in town; or relax away the afternoon watching the sun dip below the watery horizon.
Next, rise early for a visit to the temples of Ramses II at Abu Simbel. These two rock temples carved out of the mountainside were completely dismantled and moved when Lake Nasser flooded, an amazing feat of engineering. Later, sail on to Balooly Island to dock for the night. You'll worship your day-six visit to Edfu, where horse-drawn carriages will take you to the legendary temple dedicated to Horus.
A tour of the Nile's East Bank in Luxor is in store for the following day. First, visit the temple complex at Karnak and its immense hall containing 134 columns of intricate stonework. You'll move on to the 4,000-year-old Luxor Temple, built at the pinnacle of Thebes' former might, before you're let loose to wrap yourself in the vibrant city's nightlife. Your evening in Luxor will be spent in the five-star Steigenberger Nile Palace.
At sunrise, ascend to new heights with a hot air balloon flight over the West Bank. Once your airborne reign is over, you'll tour the famed Valley of the Kings burial site and the Colossi of Memnon before boarding an overnight train back to Cairo. Enjoy a free day nine in Egypt's bustling capitol city with optional tours available for purchase, return to the Oasis Hotel for the night, then fly home the following morning.
Forget the excavation crew; this week's Escape is all you need to discover the secrets of the Nile. Act now before it's entombed for another 3,000 years.
For additional information, view the Encounters Travel full itinerary.
*Priced per person, based on double occupancy. For single-occupancy travel, pay an additional $295 upon booking.
"The pyramids, the minarets, the Nile—the scope of Egypt is magnificent... Geometrically imposing temples write a testament to the power of archaic gods and omnipotent pharaohs."-- Lonely Planet
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability
- Not valid on group or existing reservations
- Airline tax and fuel surcharges are included in promotional price
- Vouchers are considered redeemed once you have agreed to the Merchant’s booking conditions, which are available on the Merchant’s website and will be provided for you to check. The Merchant’s cancellation fees apply thereafter; voucher subject to forfeiture
- When purchasing and gifting vouchers please list name(s) exactly as given on your passport(s)
- Based on twin or double occupancy; you may share with other people of the same sex booking onto the tour
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Voucher pricing is based on multiple occupancy; the single occupancy supplement is $295 due at booking
- Single travelers may choose to pay a single room supplement to guarantee themselves a single room throughout the tour. Alternatively, you may choose to share a twin room with another traveler of the same sex. If there are no other single travelers available to pair up with at the time of booking, then you will need to pay the single room supplement. Encounters Travel will refund this later if they are able to pair people together. Room shares are arranged in order of voucher redemption
- Voucher includes two nights in four-star hotels, 1 night in five-star hotel, two nights aboard sleeper trains, three nights aboard Nile Spirit Dahabya Riverboat, eight breakfasts, three lunches, five dinners, local tour leaders and Tipping Kitty
- Travel insurance covering medical costs and repatriation for medical reasons is mandatory; policy details must be provided to the Encounter Travels at least 1 month before departure (policy number, name of the issuing company, and the policy emergency contact details); travel insurance covering cancellation and baggage is recommended but not mandatory. A comprehensive policy suitable for the tour is available from Encounters Travel for $40 (conditions apply)
- Reservations must be made by August 20 in order to qualify for the deal price; If Encounters Travel is not contacted and supplied with passport information by this date, a supplement to the price may be charged
- Voucher does not include Visa fees, travel insurance (compulsory), entrance fees (allow approx. $90), meals not indicated in the itinerary, drinks, snacks, other personal expenses, gratuities and any other items not mentioned above
- The deal is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- PROMOTIONAL VALUE VALID ONLY FOR THE DATE RANGE SELECTED AT TIME OF PURCHASE
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON December 7, 2012 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON December 7, 2017 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON December 7, 2012 • Enjoy By December 7, 2012
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 45% savings