Rediscovering the Lost City of the Incas
Gate 1 Travel • Urubamba, Peru
- A Seven-Day Trip to Peru for One Guest, Including:
- Round-Trip, Non-Stop International Airfare via LAN Airlines from Miami, Florida, to Lima, Peru
- Round-Trip Domestic Airfare and Ground Transportation Between Destinations
- Six-Night Accommodations, Six Breakfasts, One Lunch, and Three Dinners
- English-Speaking Tour Manager and Local Guides Throughout
- Airline Taxes, Fuel Surcharges, and Entry Fees
Tucked away on an Andean ridge nearly 8,000 feet above sea level, Machu Picchu is known as the "Lost City" of the Inca Empire. Lose yourself in the splendor of a bygone civilization with this week's Escape: a seven-day trip to Peru for one guest, courtesy of Gate 1 Travel ($1,599).*
The package includes round-trip, non-stop international airfare via LAN Airlines from Miami, Florida, to Lima, Peru; round-trip domestic airfare and ground transportation; and international airline taxes, fuel surcharges, and entry fees. You'll travel on select dates** from August to December and receive six-night accommodations, six breakfasts, one lunch, three dinners, and an English-speaking tour manager and local guides throughout.
After landing in Cusco, you'll take a scenic drive to the San Augustin Urubamba Hotel & Spa to lie low for two nights. On your first evening, meet your tour manager at an orientation, then savor a welcome dinner. You'll enshroud yourself in Peru's Sacred Valley with a drive to Pisac—an Inca agricultural and religious hub—the next day. Tour the ruins, then blend in with the locals browsing Pisac's craft market.
In the morning, board a train Machu Picchu, in the heady company of the Great Wall of China and the Pyramids of Giza on Lonely Planet's list of the world's most iconic structures. Built high above the Andean clouds, the "Lost City" was concealed from conquering Spaniards and only rediscovered in 1911.
Feast your eyes on the ancient citadel's mountain vistas; get lost in its remarkably intact network of temples, baths, and palaces; and marvel at its masterful dry stonework. Later, catch a train to Cusco for three nights at Hotel Los Portales Cusco or Eco Inn Cusco, depending on your travel dates.
You'll immerse yourself in history on a tour of Cusco, the former capital of the Inca Empire, the following afternoon. Evidence of Inca art and culture abounds at La Catedral (home to more than 400 paintings) and the Qorikancha, the "Temple of the Sun" whose interiors were once covered in gold. As night falls, enjoy a traditional buffet with folk music and Peruvian dancing.
Day five is yours to spend exploring Cusco, after which you'll fly to Lima on the morning of day six. Check into Hotel Antigua Miraflores before departing to tour the Peruvian capital. "You'll find encyclopedic bookstores and baroque churches ornamented with the skulls of saints. It's a cultural phantasmagoria," says Lonely Planet. "This is Lima. Shrouded in history, gloriously messy, and full of aesthetic delights. Don't even think of missing it."
You'll visit La Catedral de Lima, illuminated by bright lights after dark, on the Main Square. Then, catch a glimpse of the city's modern side with a trip to El Parque del Amor before savoring a farewell dinner and flying home.
Machu Picchu was lost to the Spaniards, but its staggering beauty won't be lost on you. See what you've been missing with this week's Escape to Peru.
For additional information, view the Gate 1 Travel full itinerary.
*Price based on double occupancy. Add $500 for single-occupancy travel. Does not include Peru domestic departure taxes or gratuities.
**Travel Dates: August 3 to 9; August 17 to 23; August 31 to September 6; September 14 to 20; September 28 to October 4; October 12 to 18; October 26 to November 1; November 9 to 15; November 23 to 29; December 7 to 13; and December 21 to 27
"The exquisite architecture of the massive Inca stone structures, the formidable backdrop of steep sugarloaf hills, and the Urubamba river winding far below have made Machu Picchu the iconic symbol of Peru."-- Read Fodor's Review of Machu Picchu
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; must be made by May 28, 2012
- Not valid on group or existing reservations
- Merchant cancellation/re-scheduling policy applies; voucher subject to forfeiture
- Voucher is valid for one person only
- When purchasing and gifting vouchers please list name as it is listed on their passport
- Based upon double occupancy; single supplement is $500 and must be mentioned at booking
- All children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult; minimum age for children on escorted or guided tours is 6
- Voucher includes all transport and transfers including 24-hour airport arrival and departure services
- Voucher includes one lunch, three dinners, an English-speaking tour manager, local guides throughout, airline taxes, fuel surcharges and entry fees
- Voucher does not include gratuities, insurance, meals not indicated in the itinerary, and other personal expenses
- All deal components must be redeemed during one stay
- The deal is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- PROMOTIONAL VALUE VALID ONLY FOR THE DATE RANGE SELECTED AT TIME OF PURCHASE
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON December 28, 2012 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON December 28, 2017 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON December 28, 2012 • Enjoy By December 28, 2012
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 32% savings