The Blue Ridge Mountains' Big Apple
Big Meadows Lodge • Luray, VA
- A One-Night ($157) or Two-Night ($253) Stay for Two in a Blue Ridge or Mountain Top Hotel Room
- Two Admissions to Luray Caverns
- Breakfast for Two on One Morning
- Bottle of Local Wine and Two Keepsake Wine Glasses
- Self-Guided Scavenger Hike Book
"Trying to compare [Luray Caverns] to others," a reporter from The New York Times said upon seeing the cave, "would be like comparing New York City to the Town of Luray." Indeed, this Northern Virginia landmark, with its mirrored pools and echo chambers, exudes a singular energy that leaves visitors spellbound.
Discover its majesty on this week's Escape to Big Meadows Lodge in Shenandoah National Park. You'll get a one-night ($157) or two-night ($253) stay for two in a Blue Ridge or Mountain Top Hotel Room, plus two admissions to Luray Caverns.
Also included: breakfast for two on one morning, a bottle of local wine, two keepsake wine glasses, and a self-guided scavenger hike book.
Built in 1939 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the 29-room lodge is a throwback to simpler times, lacking the modern trappings of a place like, well, New York City. In-room Wi-Fi? Pshaw! Telephones? Not here. Each room is equipped, however, with two queen-size beds, a patio or balcony, and—okay—satellite TV.
But the real entertainment center lies outside. With more than 500 miles of hiking trails that traverse dense forest, waterfalls, ghost towns, mountain peaks, and trickling creek bottoms, Shenandoah National Park is rife with opportunities for discovery.
Forty-five minutes north of the lodge, the Town of Luray plays host to gems of another nature. It's no Manhattan, as the writer noted, but a few boutiques, eateries, and museums make this humble 200-year-old hamlet worth the visit.
The real draw, of course, is Luray Caverns, home of The Great Stalacpipe Organ. The world's largest musical instrument works by tapping a series of different stalactites, each varying in size to produce a unique tone. But that's just the beginning: The caves are full of otherworldly sights, the entirety of which would take days if not weeks to explore.
Think of it like a short trip to New York: You'll never cross everything off your list, but a day or two among the sights and sounds of the Blue Ridge Mountains will leave you with memories to last a lifetime.
"Built of stone and timber, this rustic building sports a large guest lounge with a roaring fireplace, and its window walls present a spectacular view over the Shenandoah Valley."-- Frommer's
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Limit 1 voucher per reservation; vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability
- Not valid on group or existing reservations
- Cancellation/re-scheduling policy applies; voucher subject to forfeiture
- Blackout dates are all Saturdays, all holiday weekends (Friday-Sunday), September 28 - October 27, and November 21-23
- The resort is closed November 4 through May 14, 2013
- Taxes and resort fees are not included and will be collected at redemption
- Nights must be used consecutively
- All deal components must be redeemed during one stay
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON July 31, 2013 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON July 31, 2018 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON July 31, 2013 • Enjoy By July 31, 2013
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 50% savings