Road Trip Through South Africa
Encounters Travel • Cape Town, South Africa
- A Nine-Day Trip Along South Africa's Coast for One Guest on Select Dates, Including:
- Flights from JFK to Cape Town and from Port Elizabeth to JFK via South African Airways
- All Hotel Accommodations Indicated on Itinerary
- Seven Breakfasts, Five Lunches, and Five Dinners
- All Transports and 24-Hour Airport Arrival-and-Departure Services
- Local English-Speaking Tour Guides and All Entrance Fees, Sightseeing Tours, and Activities in the Itinerary
- Rate is Per Person Based on Double Occupancy; Single Occupancy Requires an Additional Fee of $320
Accept South Africa's Garden Route in its simplest terms—a winding trail that dots a line between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth—and you'd risk comparing it to any stretch of motorway. But, given that this particular expanse passes empty beaches, inviting towns, wildlife reserves, and tons of wineries, driving the Garden Route has been called the road trip of a lifetime.
"Sandwiched between majestic mountains and the Indian Ocean (think constant sea views), this 150-mile stretch of ancient indigenous forests, fynbos-covered peaks, golden beaches, and pristine lagoons earns its title," says Fodor's.
Be ready for off-the-beaten-path possibilities while on a guided nine-day tour with Encounters Travel ($2,895, $3,040, or $3,186 depending on departure date*). Buckle your seatbelt on included airfare from JFK International Airport to Cape Town with South African Airways, and meander from point A to point B with included transportation, meals, and entrance fees.
As you snake your way from the capital city to pit stops in Stellenbosch, Oudtshoorn, Plettenberg Bay, and Tsitsikamma, you'll set your brakes in three- to four-star accommodations before a farewell night in Addo's Elephant Park Camp.
Once you arrive, enjoy a quick tour of the area and then settle into your room at Southern Sun Cape Sun hotel. The next day, leave Cape Town in your rearview for the wine farms of Stellenbosch, where you'll sample a glass (or two) and visit The Ann van Dyk Cheetah Centre to see the animals up close.
In the morning stretch your legs in the outdoor pool at The Lord Charles. After breakfast, watch as rugged mountains and rolling wineries frame your window as you travel along Route 62 toward Oudtshoorn. Pull up a chair for a drink at Ronnie's Sex Shop—a quirky pub—and then meander through the limestone Cango Caves. Later, you'll visit an ostrich farm before checking into the Kleinplaas Holiday Resort.
Spend the fifth day snoozing and swimming on a white sand beach in Knysna or hiking in the Featherbed Nature Reserve, and then refuel for two action-packed days at Bloukrans and Tsitsikamma National Park. Keep your gaze on the ocean for schools of dolphins as you climb the Otter Trail, and then muster the courage to bungee jump from Bloukrans Bridge.
On your last day, happily welcome a traffic jam of elephants, lions, buffalos, zebras, and antelope on a tour of Addo Elephant National Park. While there may be more than 500 elephants on the sanctuary, you'll still have plenty of room to yourself in an en-suite bungalow. And although your Escape runs out of gas at Port Elizabeth Airport, the memories you'll have from this Escape will keep your sense of adventure up to speed.
For additional information, view the Encounters Travel full itinerary.
*Dates: January 19 to 27 ($2,895); February 2 to 10 ($2,895); February 16 to 24 ($3,040); March 2 to 10 ($2,895); or March 16 to 24 ($3,186)
"The narrow coastal strip that forms the Garden Route stretches from the rural town of Heidelberg in the west to Storms River Mouth in the east; and from the shore of the Indian Ocean to the peaks of the Outeniqua and Tsitsikamma coastal mountain ranges."-- Frommer's
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability
- Reservations must be made by November 25 in order to qualify for the deal price; If Encounters Travel is not contacted and supplied with passport information by this date, a supplement to the price may be charged
- Not valid on group or existing reservations
- Airline tax and fuel surcharges are included in promotional price
- Vouchers are considered redeemed once first contact is made with Encounters Travel and no refund will be available if cancellations are made after; voucher subject to forfeiture
- When purchasing and gifting vouchers please list name(s) exactly as given on your passport(s)
- Voucher includes all transport and transfers including local English-speaking tour leaders, tours activities and entrance fees as detailed in the itinerary, seven breakfasts, five lunches and five dinners, and all hotel accommodations indicated on itinerary
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy. Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the hotel. Single occupancy requires an additional fee of $320
- Based on double or twin occupancy; you may share with other people of the same sex booking onto the tour
- Single travelers may choose to pay a single room supplement to guarantee themselves a single room throughout the tour. Alternatively, you may choose to share a twin room with another traveler of the same sex. If there are no other single travelers available to pair up with at the time of booking, then you will need to pay the single room supplement. Encounters Travel will refund this later if they are able to pair people together. Room shares are arranged in order of voucher redemption Travel insurance covering medical costs and repatriation for medical reasons is mandatory; policy details must be provided to Encounter Travels at least 1 month before departure (policy number, name of the issuing company, and the policy emergency contact details); travel insurance covering cancellation and baggage is recommended but not mandatory. A comprehensive policy is available from Encounters Travel for $80 per person; view all details at www.encounterstravel.com/travel_insurance.php
- Voucher does not include Visa fees (not required for UK citizens), travel insurance (compulsory and available for $80), meals not indicated in the itinerary, drinks, snacks, tips for tour leaders, and other personal expenses and any other items not mentioned above
- Hotels are subject to change to based on availability
- The deal is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- PROMOTIONAL VALUE VALID ONLY FOR THE DATE RANGE SELECTED AT TIME OF PURCHASE
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON March 31, 2013 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON March 31, 2018 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON March 31, 2013 • Enjoy By March 31, 2013
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 38% savings