9-Day Kilimanjaro Trek + Flights
LivingSocial Adventures Tours • Tanzania, Tanzania
Dream African getaways are about as diverse as the continent's geography. But for the serious outdoor enthusiast, this nine-day Escape to Tanzania from LivingSocial Adventure Tours—featuring a five-day trek to the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro—leads your all-time wishlist.
You'll always remember standing on top of the world—gazing down on the sun as it breaks through the pillowy clouds—but your experience along the way will stay with you just as long. Begin by traversing the low-lying jungles, crossing through alpine scrub, and eventually reaching desolate terrain that looks more like a view through the Hubble telescope than anything you've seen in real life.
The balmy atmosphere will thin out to crisp, cool air as you ascend, taking a toll on your body and challenging you to summit Uhuru Peak, the highest point in Africa. If the trip up feels like the deepest breath you've ever taken, the descent from Mt. Kilimanjaro will be the most satisfying exhale you've ever known.
Bring it on, bucket list.
Flights provided by Ethiopian Airlines. Please read important information regarding airline liability limitations and rules and policies about this fare. Prices do not include baggage fees charged directly by the airline.
- A Nine-Day Expedition to Mt. Kilimanjaro, Including:
- Five-Day, Four-Night Climb of Mt. Kilimanjaro with Sunrise Summit of Africa's Highest Point
- Two Nights of Double-Occupancy Accommodations at Weru Weru River Lodge and Four Nights of Shared Accommodations at Marangu Route Huts
- Six Breakfasts, Five Lunches, and Four Dinners
- Celebratory Cocktails and Storytelling on Final Night
- Private LivingSocial Adventure Guides, Cooks, and Porters
- Round-Trip Flights via Ethiopian Airlines from Washington Dulles International Airport to Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Round-Trip Ground Transportation from the Airport to the Lodge and Kilimanjaro National Park
- Includes All Park, Hut, and Rescue Fees
- Priced per Person Based on Double Occupancy (See Fine Print)
- Recommended Packing List
Arrive in Moshi
Touch down in the afternoon at Kilimanjaro International Airport, where a LivingSocial Adventure Guide will greet you. You'll catch glimpses of Africa's largest mountain en route to Weru Weru River Lodge in Moshi.
Check-in and relax with a welcome drink and snack. You'll have time to rest, lounge by the pool, or walk around town picking up last-minute supplies before your travel group convenes in the evening with your LivingSocial Adventure Guide. After getting a full rundown of the trip, hit the hay for a good night's sleep in preparation for the hike of a lifetime.
Montane Rain Forest
Wake up well-rested and fuel up for the day ahead with a buffet breakfast. You'll depart early for the Marangu Gate of Kilimanjaro National Park. The first leg of the hike takes you through the montane rain forest, tangled with flowering foliage and home to black and white colobus monkeys, turaco birds, and other jungle species.
Plan for precipitation in the rainy environs and listen up for a Swahili lesson: "pole pole" means "slowly slowly" in the local tongue. You'll hike for five or six hours (with a break for lunch, of course) and trek seven miles before stopping for a hot dinner and overnight at the Mandara Hut.
Heath and Moorland
Rise and shine for breakfast, then continue through the temperate forest. Once you reach 9,100 feet, you'll enter the heath and moorland zone of low-growing shrubs that provide glimpses of the snow-capped peaks above. Hike through the Maundi Crater for views of Mt. Kilimanjaro's Mawenzi Peak, stopping for lunch and to adjust to the altitude. After six hours and nine miles, you'll break for the day at the Horombo Hut. Enjoy a hot dinner, then drift off to sleep.
The day starts with a spectacular sunrise and hearty breakfast. The pace will be slower due to the altitude and you'll receive an early lunch. As you climb into the alpine desert, vegetation thins out to plants capable of withstanding scorching equatorial sun and whipping winds. The lunar landscape becomes harsh and otherworldly once you reach the saddle between the Mawenzi and Kibo peaks of Mt. Kilimanjaro. The six-hour, nine-mile hike brings you to the Kibo Hut, where you'll eat an early dinner.
Glaciers and Summit
Wake at midnight in frigid temperatures for a light snack, then gear up for the four-mile summit ascent. The pace slows to a deliberate walk due to atmospheric oxygen constraints. Along the way, your demanding path presents frozen snow and scree, demanding mental and physical strength.
The route begins on the rocky trail to Hans Meyer Cave, zigzags up to Gilman's Point, then follows the crater's edge to Uhuru Peak—the highest point in Africa. Watch the sun rise from your perch on top of the world, savoring the euphoria and snapping photos with your fellow hikers. The descent will be quick, as you stop for a hot lunch and short rest at Kibo Hut, then continue down to Horombo Hut for dinner and your last night on the mountain.
Your final day on Mt. Kilimanjaro involves descending back through the heath and moorland. You'll stop at the Mandara Hut for lunch, then head downhill through the rain forest to the Marangu Gate. At the gate, successful climbers receive summit certificates—green for those who reach Gilman's Point and gold for those who reach Uhuru Peak. From here, a shuttle will return you to Weru Weru River Lodge, where you'll celebrate with a warm shower and cool refreshments. Feel free to relax or head out into Moshi and treat your "marafiki"—the Swahili word for friends—to dinner.
Depart from Moshi
Rise to a full buffet breakfast, then use the morning to take a dip in the pool or head into town to stock up on local goods like shade-grown coffee, woodcarvings, and other handmade mementos. You'll enjoy included transportation to Kilimanjaro International Airport to catch your Ethiopian Airlines flight back to the US.
Touch down at Washington Dulles International Airport and head home.
Please view the Detailed Tour Itinerary for complete schedule information
- Signed Waiver(s)
- Government-Issued ID
- Tanzania Tourist Visa
- Moisture-Wicking, Layered Clothing
- Waterproof and Windproof Outer Layer
- Sturdy Hiking Shoes
- Wool Socks, Gloves, and Hats
- Below-Freezing Sleeping Bag
- Large Backpack or Duffle
- Head Lamp
the fine print
- Sale of this tour period ends December 12, 2012, while when a given tour date reaches the capacity of 12 booked travelers, the date will no longer be available for purchase
- For more information about this tour, please see our Detailed Tour Information document: bit.ly/KilimanjaroExpedition
- One voucher is good for one person
- Must be 18+ to attend this trip
- In order to be paired with a roommate, you must request him/her at the time of booking. We will not pair single travelers together.
- A refund may be collected within 7 days of your purchase. You may reschedule your purchased event date within that same 7 days (subject to availability) for any reason. No full or partial refunds are given to customers who miss an event. Purchasers will be notified prior to cancelled or rescheduled Tours. Cancelled Tours will be fully refunded. If you can't make the new date of a rescheduled Tour, you are entitled to a refund upon request
- Waiver available to view here: livingsocial.echosign.com/public/hostedForm?formid=4J7NWTXUF22X27
- All hotel taxes, airline taxes, and fuel surcharges are included.
- Voucher does not include gratuities, insurance, meals and other costs not indicated in the itinerary, other personal expenses.
- Valid passport required to travel. Some countries may require a visa and/or that your passport be valid 6 months beyond your date of entry. Some countries may require an additional fee upon arrival. Check with the specific country's consulate to establish entry requirements
- We strongly recommend that you obtain travel health insurance for this tour, as it is invaluable in times of health needs abroad. Most insurers also offer a complete travel insurance package with trip cancellation and curtailment coverage as well
- If you have any questions in advance of your tour, please contact us at email@example.com
- Other conditions apply
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms