Bucket List Safari in Kenya
Friendly Planet Travel • Nairobi, Kenya
- An Eight-Day Kenya Safari, Including:
- Round-Trip Flights from JFK International Airport to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi via Brussels Airlines
- Round-Trip Ground Transportation from Airport to Hotels and Sightseeing Destinations
- Double-Occupancy Accommodations for Two Nights and One Day at InterContinental Nairobi, One Night at Lake Naivasha Sopa Resort, and Two Nights at Keekorok Lodge
- Five Breakfasts, Three Lunches, and Four Dinners
- Three Game Drives in the Masai Mara National Reserve with Guaranteed Window Seat and Pop-Up Roof Hatch
- Boat Safari on Lake Naivasha
- Visit to Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphan Nursery
- Nairobi Sightseeing Tour with Visits to Langata Giraffe Center, Karen Blixen Museum, and Kazuri Bead Factory
- Experienced Driver-Guide and Game-Spotter
- Airline Taxes, Fuel Surcharges, and Entrance Fees Included
- Priced per Person (See Fine Print)
From the fossil-rich volcanic hills of the Great Rift Valley to the fertile plains of the central highlands, Kenya is a country renowned for its natural beauty. Even set against this rich backdrop, the Maasai Mara National Reserve stands out, venerated both by the local population and naturalists around the world. Stretching over hundreds of square miles at the northern edge of the Serengeti, this relatively untouched swath of savanna is an important sanctuary for much of the county's wildlife.
Roaming the park's rolling hills you may find Kenya's Big Five—the lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and rhinoceros—as well as hyenas, cheetahs, and bat-eared foxes. You may even spot Nile crocodiles and hippo families basking in the sun along the Talek River. Perhaps the most stunning sight in the Maasai Mara is the annual Great Migration—one of the Ten Wonders of the Natural World—when some two million wildebeests and other hoofed mammals march north in search of new feeding grounds.
Kenya isn't all about expansive plains and wild herds—the country is also home to one of the largest and most cosmopolitan cities in Africa: Nairobi. Meaning "cool waters" in the Maasai language, Nairobi is built along a large river indispensable for transportation, not to mention gorgeous views. While still developing in many ways, the city offers a worldly experience; here, you'll find upscale restaurants next to open-air markets and a lively nightlife filled with the local Benga music, a genre that combines jazz and traditional Luo sounds.
Kenya may be halfway around the globe, but it's still within reach on this eight-day Escape from Friendly Planet Travel:
Day 1: Depart from JFK International Airport on an overnight flight to Nairobi via Brussels Airlines.
Day 2: Touch down at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, where guides will assist you with customs and escort you to the InterContinental Nairobi, your home for the next two nights.
Day 3: Your day in the Kenyan capital begins with breakfast, after which you'll visit the Langata Giraffe Centre. Here, endangered Rothschild giraffes roam alongside several warthogs, and guests may feed the animals from raised platforms. The next stop is the Karen Blixen Museum, a house and 4,500-acre farm where the Out of Africa author lived from 1917 to 1931. You'll also visit the Kazuri bead factory, located on the Blixen estate grounds, where Kenyan women in need of employment make handcrafted ceramic beads. Kazuri takes its name from the Swahili word meaning "small and beautiful."
Day 4: Wake for breakfast and check out, then depart for a trip to the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphan Nursery, where orphaned baby elephants and rhinos are hand-reared until they can be safely released into their natural habitat, the Tsavo National Park. The little ones are free to mingle with herds of wild elephants, some of whom are former Sheldrick orphans returning to visit the babies still in its care.
From here, you'll travel west into the Great Rift Valley heading for Lake Naivasha, where you'll spend an evening at the Lake Naivasha Sopa Resort. The freshwater lake covers roughly 86 square miles and is home to more than 400 species of birds. After lunch, you'll take a boat safari on the water and try to spot animals like the majestic fish eagle, hippopotamus, and waterbuck. You may also see black-and-white colobus monkeys playing in the acacia trees. Dinner is provided back at the resort.
Day 5: Your morning starts with breakfast and a drive to the Maasai Mara National Reserve. Perhaps the continent's most celebrated park, life on the Mara plays out like a scene from the iconic Africa of feature films and documentaries. Arrive at the Keekorok Lodge, your home for two nights, in time for lunch, then set out for your first game drive. Experienced guides will direct your safari vehicle, where you'll search for animals from your window seat or the roof hatch. Once the sun sets, you'll return to the lodge for dinner and rest.
Day 6: A morning and afternoon game drive are punctuated by breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Depending on the time of year you visit, be on the lookout for migrating wildebeests and zebra as they trek north in search of water.
Day 7: You'll depart the Maasai Mara after a leisurely breakfast, arriving back at the InterContinental Nairobi in the afternoon. In store for the evening is a farewell feast at the famous open-air Carnivore Restaurant. Once you'd had your fill, you'll catch a transfer to the airport for your return flight to the US.
Day 8: Your return flight from Nairobi to JFK touches down in the afternoon.
For more information, view the Friendly Planet Travel detailed itinerary.
Departure dates: May 11 ($2,499); June 22 ($2,899); August 17 ($2,899); September 14 ($2,599); September 21 ($2,599); October 5 ($2,599); October 12 ($2,599); November 23 ($2,399); November 30 ($2,399); December 14 ($2,699)
*Priced per person based on double occupancy (see fine print).
"For a country of its size, Kenya sure packs a lot in: mountains and deserts, colorful tribal culture, beaches and coral reefs, and some of Africa’s best wildlife attractions. To say Kenya is Africa in microcosm would not be stretching the point."-- Lonely Planet
escapes 30-day promise
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; must be booked by February 27, 2013
- Not valid on group or existing reservations
- Merchants cancellation policy applies. For more information, please see www.friendlyplanet.com/terms/packages.html?tourId=405
- All prices are per person and based on double occupancy; single supplement is $399 due at booking
- All other major US airports available for a surcharge and will be collected at time of booking
- Must be at least 12 years old
- Voucher includes two nights at InterContinental Nairobi with day use room at the InterContinental on last day, one night at Lake Naivasha Sopa Resort, two nights at Keekorok Lodge, five breakfasts, three lunches, four dinners, three game drives in the Masai Mara National Reserve, a boat safari on Lake Naivasha, a visit to Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphan Nursery, a Nairobi sightseeing tour with visits to Langata Giraffe Center, Karen Blixen Museum, and Kazuri Bead Factory, and experienced guides throughout
- Voucher does not include Kenya Visa fee of $50
- Airline taxes, fuel surcharges, and entrance fees included
- Nights must be used consecutively
- All deal components must be redeemed during one stay
- The deal is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- PROMOTIONAL VALUE VALID ONLY FOR THE DATE RANGE SELECTED AT TIME OF PURCHASE
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON December 14, 2013 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON December 14, 2018 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON December 14, 2013 • Enjoy By December 14, 2013
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 27% savings