Cooking Getaway in the Italian Countryside
Epitourean • Castro dei Volsci, Italy
- A Seven-Day Trip to Italy, March 17 to 23 or March 31 to April 6 ($1,698) or April 6 to December 23 ($1,898), Including:
- Round-Trip Ground Transportation from Rome International Airport to Hotel and Sightseeing Destinations
- Double-Occupancy Accommodations for Six Nights at Casa Gregorio, Castro dei Volsci, Lazio, Italy
- Six Breakfasts, Five Lunches, and Six Dinners
- All Cooking Classes and Day Trips
- Priced per Person (See Fine Print)
From uber-rich mozzarella to buttery gnocchi, Italy's contribution to mouthwatering foodstuffs is second to none. A veritable utopia for pillowy pastas and savory sauces, this ancient European destination has been dishing out zesty cuisine since the 4th-century BC, so it's no surprise that countless chefs have devoted their careers to unearthing the country's signature flavors.
Located midway between Rome and Naples, the pastoral region of Ciociara is the perfect place to fine-tune your cooking skills and tap into the trade secrets of the Italian people. In this traditional area of Central Italy, food and folklore dominate the dialogue and residents embrace the mantra, "si mangia e si mangia bene" (you eat and eat well). Famous for dishes like zuppa di pane and sagne e fagioli, Ciociarians know a thing or two when it comes to crafting an exquisite feast. Plus, the landscape's fertile valleys and lofty mountains host a diverse collection of crops, ensuring that there's always a bounty of fresh ingredients on-hand.
Grab your apron; with this seven-day Escape from Epitourean, you can learn from these culinary experts first-hand:
Day 1: Touch down at the Rome Fiumicino International Airport, where your hosts will accompany you to your Italian home in Castro dei Volsci for the next seven days. Upon your arrival at the historic Casa Gregorio—built by nobility in the late 18th century—you'll enjoy a welcome drink and a light lunch before touring the grounds. Later, depart for the charming town of Pofi, where you'll be treated to dinner at the Pizzeria Borgo Antico.
Day 2: Say ciao to your first full day in Italy with breakfast before traveling to the town of Arpino. Here, you'll learn the process of making extra-virgin olive oil at a local estate, where you'll also sample some of the owner's organic wine. En route home, indulge in some sinfully sweet gelato before taking part in your first hands-on pastry cooking class, followed by dinner.
Day 3: Breeze through breakfast at a local bar in Castro dei Volsci before visiting a cheese shop to sample fresh ricotta, buffalo mozzarella, and provolone. The local farmers' market is next, where you'll gather ingredients for the evening's feast. Afterward, savor a seafood lunch in the seaside town of Terracina. Upon your return home, gather with the group to craft a variety of antipasti for dinner.
Day 4: Home to some of the best hand-cut prosciutto and porchetta in the world, the city of La Pastorella is where you'll observe the process of making fresh sausage. Enjoy a picnic lunch in this charming town before returning home for your cooking lesson with resident pasta-maker, Pasqualina. Afterward, savor your sublime creations with wine for dinner.
Day 5: Your visit to Italy wouldn't be complete without a trip to a local vineyard. Today, your journey begins at Cantina Tullio in Val Comino. Here, you'll tour the cellar and bottling plant before indulging in a wine tasting. Later, continue your journey to the town of Atina, where you'll have lunch with tastings before heading home to sip on wine during dinner.
Day 6: Begin with breakfast at home before blending fresh cheeses and veggies in an Italian pizza-making class. Lunch follows the lesson, after which you'll be given the option of visiting the Casamari Abbey or making a shopping run for gifts and souvenirs. Later, there will be a multi-course farewell dinner at a local farm and restaurant, Il Ruspante.
Day 7: Head to Rome Fiumicino International Airport to board your return flight home.
For more information, view the Epitourean detailed itinerary.
"The cooking lessons were wonderful as they were taught by Gregory and the local women of the town. I cannot say enough about the beautiful accommodations and the modern conveniences that Gregory has so lovingly built."-- Epitourean Reviews
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Limit 1 voucher per reservation; vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Flights are not included
- Reservations required and subject to availability
- If you are travelling prior to April 6 you must confirm your reservation by March 24
- If you are travelling anytime after April 6 you must confirm your reservation by April 3
- Not valid on group or existing reservations
- Merchant cancellation policy applies; voucher subject to forfeiture, www.epitourean.com/Reservation/ContactAndBilling.aspx
- Blackout dates are September 1 – 7, September 15 – 21 and September 29 – October 5
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy. Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the hotel. Single occupancy requires an additional fee of $600
- Voucher includes double-occupancy accommodations for six nights at Casa Gregorio, Castro dei Volsci, Lazio, Italy, six breakfasts, five lunches, six dinners, all cooking classes and day trips
- Voucher does not include Passport/visa fees, gratuities, personal or baggage insurance, meals or drinks not specified by itinerary, airfare to Rome and 10% tax are not included in package, any costs not specified as included
- Nights must be used consecutively
- All deal components must be redeemed during one stay
- The deal is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- PROMOTIONAL VALUE VALID ONLY FOR THE DATE RANGE SELECTED AT TIME OF PURCHASE
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON December 23, 2013 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON December 23, 2018 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON December 23, 2013 • Enjoy By December 23, 2013
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 50% savings