Passage to India: Touching the Taj
Gate 1 Travel • New Delhi, India
- A Nine-Day Trip to India for One Guest on Select Dates, Including:
- Round-Trip Flights from NYC to Delhi
- All Hotel Accommodations Indicated on Itinerary
- Six Breakfasts, One Lunch, and Three Dinners
- All Transports and 24-Hour Airport Arrival-and-Departure Services
- Local English-Speaking Tour Guides and Sightseeing Tours and Activities Listed in the Itinerary
- Rate is Per Person Based on Double Occupancy; Single Occupancy Requires an Additional Fee
In Delhi, denim-clad teenagers skip about the streets with cell phones plastered to their ears listening to the latest Bollywood track. Mere miles away on the slopes of a nearby rural village, cows move freely down dirt roads past women in saris preparing midday meals by hand. This is India: a contradiction in culture, in time, and in history, and one of the few places on earth where historical change unfolds in real time before your eyes.
Escape to this eons-old civilization that stands teetering on the edge of an illustrious past and an ever-promising future with this ten-day trip inside India from Gate 1 Travel.
Day 1: Take an overnight flight—complete with meals, complimentary drinks, and in-flight entertainment—from New York (LGA, JFK or EWR) to Delhi.
Day 2: Arrive in Delhi where guides will greet you and ensure your transfer to the 4.5-star DoubleTree by Hilton hotel. Enjoy the day at your leisure.
Day 3: Local representatives will walk you through the itinerary with a welcome orientation and introduce you to your surroundings in India's capital. Enjoy a cycle rickshaw ride through the intricate and chaotic streets around Old Delhi and visit the Jama Masjid mosque, Birla Temple, the India Gate, the Parliament House, the Presidential Palace, and the home where Mahatma Gandhi spent his final days.
Day 4: Take the morning in Delhi before traveling to Jaipur, the famed Pink City of India that was painted as such in honor of a 19th century visit from the Prince of Wales. Stop by a jewelry shop and a local market in Delhi boasting fine Indian textiles followed by a visit to UNESCO World Heritage site Qutab Minar, the world's tallest brick minaret. Then, make your way to Jaipur in an air-conditioned coach bus and check in to the five-star Ramada Jaipur.
Day 5: Embark on an excursion to the 16th century Amber Fort via jeep (or elephant back, if available), and admire views of Jaipur's original city walls and the Maotha Lake below. Browse the Rajasthan textile and handicrafts market or the city's many colorful bazaars brimming with flowers and spices. Then, venture off on your own to see the City Palace and its delightful gardens.
Day 6: Travel to the medieval city of Agra. On the way, you'll stop to visit the city of Abhaneri—three hours outside Agra—and peer into the Chand Baori stepwell that dates back to the 8th century or (depending on the season) admire the stunning architecture of Fatehpur Sikri. Nearby, a visit to the the temple of Harshat Mata, ornately dedicated to the goddess of joy and happiness, is a must-see. When you arrive in Agra, use the remainder of your day for self-guided exploration before check-in at the five-star Trident, Agra hotel.
Day 7: Your trip's magnum opus builds in a dramatic crescendo to an iconic visit to the Taj Mahal. The monumental construction, which took 22 years to complete, is most famous for its white-marble dome—of which you'll have your fill with a visit to a local marble shop following your tour.
Day 8: Depart Agra for Delhi where you'll arrive at the DoubleTree by Hilton Gurgaon and enjoy a farewell dinner at the hotel. Included ground transfer will transport you to the airport late in the evening or shortly after midnight for your return flight home.
Day 9: Arrive back in the United States.
NYC departures for 2013: May 13 ($1,599) and May 20 ($1,599); June 3 ($1,799) and June 17 ($1,999); July 15 ($1,799); August 12 ($1,599) and August 26 ($1,599); September 16 ($1,499), September 19 ($1,499), and September 26 ($1,599); October 7 ($1,799), October 10 ($1,699), October 14 ($1,799), October 17 ($1,699), October 28 ($1,799), or October 31 ($1,699); November 7 ($1,899), November 11 ($1,699), November 14 ($1,699), November 18 ($1,799), November 21 ($1,699), or November 25 ($1,799); December 2 ($1,899), December 5 ($1,899), December 12 ($2,399), or December 19 ($2,399)
"India bristles with an eclectic mélange of ethnic groups; an intoxicating cultural cocktail for the traveller. With such astonishing diversity, you will be taken on a journey that will linger in your mind long after you’ve left her shores."-- Lonely Planet
escapes 30-day promise
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; must be made by April 10, 2013
- Not valid on group or existing reservations
- Voucher is valid for one person only
- When purchasing and gifting vouchers please list name as it is listed on their passport
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy. Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the hotel. Single occupancy requires an additional fee of $420
- Three people to a room cannot be accommodated, so no triple option will be available
- Must be at least 18 to check-in and at least 8 to travel
- Merchant cancellation policy applies; voucher subject to forfeiture www.gate1travel.com/terms.aspx#CANCELLATION
- Voucher includes six breakfasts, one lunch, three dinners, all transports, 24-hour airport arrival-and-departure services, local English-speaking tour guides, sightseeing tours and activities listed on the Itinerary
- Voucher does not include gratuities, insurance, meals not indicated in the itinerary, other personal expenses, passport and visa fees
- Visas are required
- All other major US airports available for a surcharge to be collected at time of booking; subject to availability
- Due to physical constraints and space limitations, wheelchairs, walkers and motorized scooters may not be taken aboard motor coaches, nor are these devices suitable for touring. These devices may be utilized in public spaces such as airports, however may not be used while sightseeing
- All deal components must be redeemed during one stay
- The deal is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- PROMOTIONAL VALUE VALID ONLY FOR THE DATE RANGE SELECTED AT TIME OF PURCHASE
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON December 19, 2013 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON December 19, 2018 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON December 19, 2013 • Enjoy By December 19, 2013
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 42% savings