A Slower Pace on Monterey Bay
Asilomar Conference Grounds • Pacific Grove, CA
- A One-Night Stay for Two in a Standard Asilomar Room
Perched on the southern tip of the Monterey Peninsula, just two hours south of San Francisco, Pacific Grove boasts all of the charm and none of the crowds of its more popular neighbor to the north. A quiet coastal community of about 15,000, Pacific Grove is a look back at what California used to be, with Victorian architecture and sea-beaten lighthouses at every turn. Add to that the town's breathtakingly beautiful beaches, where rocky cliffs meet the whorls of the Pacific Ocean, and you've got a quintessential California beach town that's happy to fly under the radar.
Set on 107 acres of park land, the historic Asilomar Conference Grounds—celebrating its 100th anniversary this year—stands tall among the evergreen forest that skirts Asilomar State Beach and the Asilomar Natural Dune Preserve. Many of the structures, designed by renowned architect Julia Morgan, still stand today, while upgrades such as a heated outdoor swimming pool and complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the property have been added in recent years.
Rooms are blissfully free of telephones and TVs, and are appointed with new carpet. All come with a private bath. Start your day by treating yourself to breakfast at the Crocker Dining Hall, which might include seasonal fruit; fresh, naturally sweetened juice; and hearty whole grains.
Venture down to Asilomar State Beach, where yellow verbena, sagewort, and yarrow grow thick. Wade into the hidden coves in search of tidal pools brimming with life: Purple starfish, swaying anemones, and aptly named scurrying hermit crabs inhabit a world in miniature. You can opt to rent a bike at the Park Store for a scenic ride on the boardwalk, or take a hike through the dense pines and oaks that surround the property.
Come mealtime, if you choose to venture off the grounds, you'll have dozens of excellent dining options within a short drive. Try Caribbean cuisine at Passionfish in Pacific Grove; tuck into an authentic French meal at Bistro Moulin in Monterey; or sit down to a high-end Italian meal at La Balena Cucina Toscana in Carmel.
"I would choose to come back here time after time for a break from the grind of the world. The accommodations are spartan, but the grounds are beautiful, the architecture is amazing, and I love the family room in the historical rooms."-- Hotels.com
the fine print
- Credit card information and photo ID is required at check-in
- Reservation Name must match the name on the traveler's photo identification, which must be presented at check-in. Bookings are nontransferable.
- Escapes Bookings are only valid for the date(s) purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates; Escapes Bookings are subject to forfeiture
- Escapes Bookings expire on the date(s) purchased and times indicated on the Confirmation Email. You must redeem your Escapes Booking on the date(s) purchased and times indicated on the Confirmation Email
- Valid for up to 2 guests
- $10 site fee, $2 tourism assessment fee and 10.6% tax not included and payable at the time of check-in to the property
- Incidental charges, charges for additional services and gratuity at the hotel property are not included
- No refunds allowed
- Not valid on existing reservations or room block stays
- Escapes Bookings must be used in a single visit and cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
- Other conditions apply
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
from $0* /night
detailsSeveral of the Asilomar Room types are located in buildings designed by architect John Carl Warnecke and built in a style complementary to that of Julia Morgan's. Asilomar Rooms are more contemporary than the Historic Rooms and include a private bathroom and shower. Some also have a patio or balcony, and some feature a fireplace. Size and quantity of beds vary in rooms, but the most common combinations are: two double beds; one double and one single bed; one queen and one single bed; or four single beds. Max Occupancy: 2room rates from $standard asilomar$ $109 avg/night
(includes taxes and fees)