Open Your Eyes to England, Scotland, and Wales
Encounters Travel • London, United Kingdom
- A Ten-Day Tour of England, Scotland, and Wales ($1,999 to $2,299 per Person), Including:
- Round-Trip Flights from New York City or Washington to London via British Airways
- Round-Trip Ground Transportation from the Airport to Hotels and Itinerary Destinations
- Double-Occupancy Accommodations for Two Nights in London, One Night in Leeds, Two Nights in Edinburgh, One Night in the Scottish Highlands, One Night in Liverpool, and One Night in Cardiff
- Eight Breakfasts and Four Dinners
- Punt Boating on the River Cam
- Whiskey Tasting at Ben Nevis Distillery
- Magical Mystery Coach Tour of Liverpool
- Walking Tours of York, Edinburgh, and Bath with Experienced Tour Leader
- Sightseeing by Air-Conditioned Coach
- Airline Taxes, Fuel Surcharges, Baggage Handling Fees, Hotel Tips, and Service Charges Included
- Priced per Person Based on Double Occupancy (See Fine Print)
From red phone booths to green pastures—with miles of North Atlantic coast in between—Great Britain is a singular phenomenon. And at the center of British history and politics stands London, the beating heart of English culture. Here, the sturdy baroque architecture of St. Paul's Cathedral meets trendy galleries and music venues on either side of the arterial Thames. Chic shoppers linger in the boutiques of Chelsea and Knightsbridge, while football fans watch the day's matches and down frothy pints at hole-in-the-wall pubs.
Up north, the Scottish capital of Edinburgh maintains its enlightened high-mindedness against a medieval backdrop of brooding castles, off-kilter cobblestone, and the icy North Atlantic. Areas around the university crawl with scholars and artists, while a more cultivated civility takes hold—one sip of Scotch at a time—inside fashionable George Street bars. And of course, summertime brings overlapping street festivals, with crowds reaching a riotous crescendo at the confluence of festivities each August.
The UK is alternately famous for its bucolic farmland, perhaps loveliest and greenest in Wales. In the south, sea winds reach hair-whipping bluster along the Gower Peninsula; while farther north, the otherworldly peaks, forested slopes, and blue-black lakes of Snowdownia appear lifted from a Welsh fairy tale.
Open your eyes to Great Britain with this ten-day tour of England, Scotland, and Wales, courtesy of Encounters Travel.
day 1: Board an overnight flight from New York City or Washington, DC, bound for London.
day 2: You'll touch down at London's Heathrow Airport, where a representative will escort you to your hotel in the London borough of Greenwich. The balance of the day is yours to explore on your own.
Overnight at Holiday Inn Express London - Greenwich.
day 3: In the morning, depart London and head for Cambridge, admiring the English countryside from a comfortable, air-conditioned bus. Once in Cambridge, you'll board a punt—a wooden boat maneuvered using a pole—for sightseeing on the River Cam. Then you're off to York, where you'll take an afternoon walking tour of the city.
Overnight at Hotel Ibis Leeds Centre. Breakfast and dinner provided.
day 4: Today brings plenty of history and scenic views, starting with a chance to see Hadrian's Wall on the drive to historic Jedburgh, about 10 miles across the border into Scotland. The Jedburgh Abbey ruins are worth a look. From here, it's on to the Scottish capital of Edinburgh, where you'll take an evening walking tour before retiring for the night.
Overnight at the Edinburgh Park Premier Inn. Breakfast and dinner provided.
day 5: After a steady schedule of activities, today will be yours to spend at leisure in Edinburgh. City landmarks like the Royal Mile, the Grass Market, and the Edinburgh Zoo are good places to start exploring.
Overnight at the Edinburgh Park Premier Inn. Breakfast provided.
day 6: Leaving Edinburgh, you'll see the National Wallace Monument, commemorating Sir William Wallace and the true events of Braveheart. Continue on your coach tour of the Highlands, offering lovely views of Inverness and numerous changes to stretch your legs and breathe in the fresh air along the way. The day culminates with a whiskey tasting at Ben Nevis Distillery—one of Scotland's oldest licensed distilleries—in Fort William.
Overnight at the Arrochar Hotel. Breakfast and dinner provided.
day 7: Resume your coach tour of the Highlands, passing Ben Nevis (Britain's highest mountain) and Glencoe in the morning. You'll cross the border back into England, stopping at Keswick in the Lake District, and finally reaching Liverpool. This storied city hosts a pair of the country's most illustrious football clubs, but it's best-known export was a fabulous foursome whose songs inspired global mania and redefined popular music.
Overnight at Hotel Ibis Liverpool Centre Albert Dock. Breakfast provided.
day 8: The day begins with a Magical Mystery Coach Tour of Liverpool, with sights like Albert Dock, Anfield Football Stadium, and landmarks in the history of Britain's iconic pop group. From Liverpool, you'll drive on to Stratford-Upon-Avon, birthplace of Shakespeare. Free time gives you a chance to visit Shakespeare-related sites before returning to the bus. The day concludes in Cardiff, the capital of Wales, where you'll enjoy an evening at leisure.
Overnight at the Cardiff City Centre Premier Inn. Breakfast and dinner provided.
day 9: You'll kick off the day in the Welsh town of Caerphilly before moving on to Bath, used as a spa city since its founding in Roman times. Today, Bath is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Take a guided walking and coach tour of the city before moving on to Stonehenge, one of the world's most awe-inspiring and mysterious structures. Entrance to Stonehenge will be at your own cost. Finally, the bus will deliver you back to London for the evening.
Overnight at Holiday Inn Express London - Greenwich. Breakfast provided.
day 10: The last day is yours to explore London as you please. Late in the afternoon, you'll be escorted back to Heathrow Airport to catch your return flight back to the US.
New York City (JFK) departures: September 9 ($2,099); September 23 ($2,099); October 7 ($2,099); November 4 ($1,999)
Washington (IAD) departures: August 26 ($2,299); October 21 ($2,149); November 18 ($1,999)
*Priced per person based on double occupancy (see fine print)
"London is as much about high-density, sight-packed exploration and urban dynamism as it is about wide-open spaces and leafy escapes. Even in the centre of town, you’ll find a city dappled with a well-tended array of parks and gardens."-- Lonely Planet
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability
- Not valid toward existing or room block reservations
- Vouchers must be redeemed by June 12, 2013 to guarantee promotional price. If vouchers are not redeemed by this date a supplement may be charged to cover higher flight costs
- Merchant cancellation policy applies. For more information, please see www.encounterstravel.com/booking_conditions.php
- When purchasing and gifting vouchers please list name(s) exactly as given on your passport(s)
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy. Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the hotel. Single occupancy requires an additional fee of $550
- Other major US airports available for a surcharge to be collected at time of booking
- Alternate airlines may be used if a minimum number of 10 passengers is not reached on the each set tour dates
- Voucher includes round-trip ground transportation from airport to hotel and itinerary destinations, double-occupancy accommodations for two nights in London, one night in Leeds, two nights in Edinburgh, one night in the Scottish Highlands, one night in Liverpool, and one night in Cardiff, eight breakfasts, three dinners, punt boating on the River Cam, a whiskey tasting at Ben Nevis Distillery, a Magical Mystery Coach Tour of Liverpool, walking tours of York, Edinburgh and Bath, sightseeing by air-conditioned coach with experienced tour leader, baggage handling fees, airline taxes, fuel surcharges, hotel tips and service charges
- Voucher does not include passport (with a minimum of 6 months validity), visa fees (not required for US or Canadian citizens but are the responsibility of the traveler to arrange), travel insurance, meals not indicated in the itinerary, drinks, snacks, gratuities and other personal expenses
- Single travelers may choose to pay a single room supplement to guarantee themselves a single room throughout the tour. Alternatively, you may choose to share a twin room with another traveler of the same sex. If there are no other single travelers available to pair up with at the time of booking, then you will need to pay the single room supplement. Encounters Travel will refund this later if they are able to pair people together. Room shares are arranged in order of voucher redemption
- Travel insurance covering medical costs and repatriation for medical reasons is mandatory; policy details must be provided to Encounter Travels at least 1 month before departure (policy number, name of the issuing company, and the policy emergency contact details); travel insurance covering cancellation and baggage is recommended but not mandatory. A comprehensive policy is available from Encounters Travel for $40 per person; view all details at www.encounterstravel.com/travel_insurance.php
- Review the State Department's website for passport/visa requirements and important announcements before traveling to your destination
- Hotels are subject to change to based on availability
- Nights must be spent consecutively; all inclusions must be redeemed during one stay
- The promotional value is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON November 30, 2013 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON November 30, 2018 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON November 30, 2013 • Enjoy By November 30, 2013
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms