Along the River Kwai and Back to Bangkok
Friendly Planet Travel • Bangkok, Thailand
- A Nine-Day Tour of Bangkok, Ayutthaya, Kanchanaburi, and the River Kwai ($1,599 to $1,949 per Person), Including:
- Round-Trip Flights to Bangkok from New York on Air China or from Los Angeles on China Airlines
- Round-Trip Ground Transportation from the Airport to Hotels and Itinerary Destinations
- Double-Occupancy Superior First-Class Accommodations for Three Nights in Bangkok, One Night in Ayutthaya , and Two Nights in Kanchanaburi
- Six Breakfasts and One Dinner
- Tour of Bangkok Including Visit to the Klongs, Wat Arun, and the Royal Barge Museum
- Tour of Ayutthaya Including Visit to Bang Pa, King Rama IV's Summer Palace, Wat Yai Chaimongkol, and Wat Chai Watanaram
- Visits to Kanchanaburi, Bridge Over River Kwai, Hellfire Pass Museum, and Memorial Walking Trail
- Professional English-Speaking Tour Guide
- Sightseeing via Private Air-Conditioned Bus
- Priced per Person Based on Double Occupancy (See Fine Print)
An explosion of color, scents, and noises, Thailand's capital city reveals itself the way it sounds—with a bang. Rustic and regal, exotic and modern, Bangkok brims with sensory delights. From the gold-drenched Temple of the Reclining Buddha and the opulent Grand Palace to the spice-soaked flavors of the city's floating markets (think food trucks in canoes), Bangkok offers an ever-rotating carousel of adventures minute by fast-paced minute. Hop in a tuk-tuk—a motorbike rickshaw—and careen through shop-laden streets with the wind at your back, or sail above the crowds on the sophisticated Skytrain en route to a high-end club. From the ancient city of Ayutthaya to the rustic allure of Kanchanaburi and its famous River Kwai, Bangkok and its surrounding sights are as vibrant as its signature silks—and it's beckoning you on a nine-day tour, courtesy of Friendly Planet Travel.
day 1: Board an overnight flight from Los Angeles or New York bound for Thailand.
day 2: Cross the International Dateline and lose a day en route. (You'll recover this day on your return trip.)
day 3: Touch down in Bangkok shortly after midnight, where a representative will escort you to your centrally located hotel to rest. In the afternoon, embark on a canal boat ride through some of Bangkok's waterways. Then, visit the Royal Barge Museum, the magnificent Wat Arun temple with its 79-meter pagoda, and the River City Shopping Complex to browse a myriad of Bangkok treasures.
Overnight at Rembrant Hotel Bangkok.
day 4: Enjoy the day at your leisure in Bangkok. The city is known for its temples including Wat Po, Bangkok's oldest and home of the golden Reclining Buddha. The Indian Market, the Wholesale Flower Market, and Chinese Town are also popular with tourists as is the Grand Palace, the residence of the Thai King for the last 150 years. Tonight, enjoy a traditional Thai Set dinner at Supatra River House Restaurant.
Overnight at Rembrant Hotel Bangkok. Breakfast and dinner provided.
day 5: After breakfast this morning, you'll be driven north to walk among the ruins of the ancient city of Ayutthaya, a UNESCO World Heritage Site founded by King U-Thong in 1350. Embark on an included sightseeing tour of King Rama IV's summer palace in Bang Pa, Wat Yai Chaimongkol and its enormous statue of the Reclining Buddha, and Wat Chai Watanaram, a 17th-century monastery in the style of Cambodia's Angkor Wat.
Overnight at Kantary Hotel Ayutthaya. Breakfast provided.
day 6: Today, you'll experience the grandeur of the Thai countryside with a morning drive through the rice fields of Suphanburi en route to Kanchanaburi, home of the historic bridge over the River Kwai. You'll pay a visit to the river's accompanying Death Railway Museum and later take a train ride through the Kwai Noi Gorge before arriving at your river resort. The rest of the afternoon is yours to spend at your leisure.
Overnight at River Kwai Resotel. Breakfast provided.
day 7: This morning, continue to explore the complicated wartime past along the River Kwai with a visit to the Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum and a trek through the Memorial Walking Trail. The balance of the day is yours to spend as you wish.
Overnight at River Kwai Resotel. Breakfast provided.
day 8: After a relaxing breakfast, you'll be transported back to Bangkok to check in at your hotel. Spend the rest of the afternoon at your leisure to take an opportunity for some last-minute shopping. The glass-enclosed ultra-luxe mega mall Siam Paragon is a sight in and of itself.
Overnight at Rembrant Hotel Bangkok. Breakfast provided.
day 9: As your trip comes to a close, take this morning to meander about the city before boarding your afternoon transfer to the airport to make your return flight to Los Angeles or New York.
Los Angeles (LAX) departures: September 4 ($1,599); September 25 ($1,599); October 30 ($1,699); November 20 ($1,699); February 5, 2014 ($1,699); March 19, 2014 ($1,699); April 23, 2014 ($1,699); or May 14, 2014 ($1,699)
New York City (JFK) departures: September 4 ($1,849); September 25 ($1,849); October 30, ($1,949); November 20 ($1,949); February 5, 2014 ($1,949); March 19, 2014 ($1,949); or April 23, 2014 ($1,949)
*Priced per person based on double occupancy (see fine print)
"Elephants parade past party-mad clubbers and tuk-tuks dart through crowds on neon-lit Khao San Road... With its intense humidity, hedonistic nightclubs, and hurly-burly taxiing... Bangkok is an exhilarating attack on the senses."-- Frommer's
escapes 30-day promise
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; must be booked by June 19, 2013
- Must be at least 21 or older to make booking and anyone under 18 must be travelling with another person that is 21 or older; travelers on the tour must be 8 years of age or older
- Not valid toward existing reservations
- Merchants cancellation policy applies. For more information, please see www.friendlyplanet.com/terms/packages.html?tourId=456
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy (two people sharing a room). Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the hotel. Single occupancy requires an additional fee of $350
- Rate for extra nights is available upon request; subject to availability and must be confirmed at booking
- All other major US airports available for a surcharge and will be collected at time of booking
- Voucher includes round-trip ground transportation from the airport to hotels and itinerary destinations, double-occupancy accommodations for three nights in Bangkok, one night in Ayutthaya , and two nights in Kanchanaburi, six breakfasts and one dinner, a tour of Bangk, a tour of Bang Pa, a tour of the Bridge Over River Kwai, Hellfire Pass Museum, and Memorial Walking Trail, a professional English-speaking tour guide, sightseeing via private air-conditioned minibus, airline taxes, fuel surcharges, hotel fees, and entrance fees
- Voucher does not include gratuities to drivers, local guides, etc., meals and beverages other than specified, personal and baggage insurance, and items of a personal nature
- Review the State Department's website for passport/visa requirements and important announcements before traveling to your destination
- Nights must be spent consecutively; all inclusions must be redeemed during one stay
- The promotional value is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON May 14, 2014 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON May 14, 2019 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON May 14, 2014 • Enjoy By May 14, 2014
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms