Bucket List Safari in Kenya
Friendly Planet Travel • Nairobi, Kenya
- An Eight-Day Kenya Safari ($2,399 to $2,999 per Person), Including:
- Round-Trip Flights from New York City (JFK) to Nairobi via Brussels Airlines
- Round-Trip Ground Transportation from Airport to Hotels and Sightseeing Destinations
- Double-Occupancy Accommodations for Two Nights and One Day at InterContinental Nairobi, One Night at Lake Naivasha Sopa Resort, and Two Nights at Keekorok Lodge
- Five Breakfasts, Three Lunches, and Four Dinners
- Three Game Drives in the Masai Mara National Reserve with Guaranteed Window Seat and Pop-Up Roof Hatch
- Boat Safari on Lake Naivasha
- Visit to Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphan Nursery
- Nairobi Sightseeing Tour with Visits to Langata Giraffe Center, Karen Blixen Museum, and Kazuri Bead Factory
- Experienced Driver-Guide and Game-Spotter
- Airline Taxes, Fuel Surcharges, and Entrance Fees Included
- Priced per Person (See Fine Print)
From the fossil-rich volcanic hills of the Great Rift Valley to the fertile plains of the central highlands, Kenya is a country renowned for its natural beauty. Even set against this rich backdrop, the venerated Maasai Mara National Reserve stands out. This relatively untouched savanna spans hundreds of miles across the northern Serengeti and is an important sanctuary for much of the county's wildlife. Roaming the park you may find Kenya's Big Five—the lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and rhinoceros—as well as hyenas, cheetahs, and bat-eared foxes. You could even spot Nile crocodiles and hippo families basking in the sun along the Talek River.
Kenya isn't all about expansive plains and wild herds—the country is also home to one of the largest and most cosmopolitan cities in Africa: Nairobi. Meaning "cool waters" in the Maasai language, Nairobi is built along a large river indispensable for transportation, not to mention gorgeous views. While still developing in many ways, the city offers a worldly experience; here, you'll find upscale restaurants next to open-air markets and a lively nightlife filled with the local Benga music, a genre that combines jazz and traditional Luo sounds.
Kenya may be halfway around the globe, but it's still within reach on this eight-day trip from Friendly Planet Travel:
day 1: Depart from JFK International Airport on an overnight flight to Nairobi via Brussels Airlines.
day 2: Touch down at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, where guides will assist you with customs and escort you to your hotel.
Overnight at InterContinental Nairobi.
day 3: Your day in the Kenyan capital begins at the Langata Giraffe Centre. Here, endangered Rothschild giraffes roam alongside several warthogs, and guests may feed the animals from raised platforms. The next stop is the Karen Blixen Museum, a house and 4,500-acre farm where the Out of Africa author lived from 1917 to 1931. You'll also visit the Kazuri bead factory, located on the Blixen estate grounds, where Kenyan women in need of employment make handcrafted ceramic beads. Kazuri takes its name from the Swahili word meaning "small and beautiful."
Overnight at InterContinental Nairobi. Breakfast included.
day 4: Depart in the morning for a trip to the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphan Nursery, where orphaned baby elephants and rhinos are hand-reared until they can be safely released into their natural habitat, the Tsavo National Park. The little ones are free to mingle with herds of wild elephants, some of whom are former Sheldrick orphans returning to visit the babies still in its care.
From here, you'll travel west into the Great Rift Valley heading for Lake Naivasha. The freshwater lake covers roughly 86 square miles and is home to more than 400 species of birds. In the afternoon, you'll take a boat safari on the water and try to spot animals like the majestic fish eagle, hippopotamus, and waterbuck. You may also see black-and-white colobus monkeys playing in the acacia trees.
Overnight at Lake Naivasha Sopa Resort. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 5: Your morning starts with a drive to the Maasai Mara National Reserve. Perhaps the continent's most celebrated park, life on the Mara plays out like a scene from the iconic Africa of feature films and documentaries. Arrive at your lodge in time for lunch, and then set out for your first game drive. Experienced guides will direct your safari vehicle, where you'll search for animals from your window seat or the roof hatch.
Overnight at Keekorok Lodge. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 6: A morning and afternoon game drive take up your full day in the Maasai Mara.
Overnight at Keekorok Lodge. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 7: You'll depart the Maasai Mara in the morning, arriving back in Nairobi in the afternoon. In store for the evening is a farewell feast at the famous open-air Carnivore Restaurant. Once you've had your fill, you'll catch a transfer to the airport for your nighttime flight to the US.
Breakfast and dinner provided.
day 8: Your return flight touches down at JFK in the afternoon.
New York City (JFK) departures: October 26 ($2,699); November 9 ($2,399); November 16 ($2,399); November 30 ($2,399); December 7 ($2,399); December 14 ($2,699); December 21 ($2,899); December 28 ($2,999)
*Priced per person based on double occupancy (see fine print)
"For a country of its size, Kenya sure packs a lot in: mountains and deserts, colorful tribal culture, beaches and coral reefs, and some of Africa’s best wildlife attractions. To say Kenya is Africa in microcosm would not be stretching the point."-- Lonely Planet
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; must be booked by July 17, 2013
- Must be 21 or older to make booking and anyone under 18 must be travelling with another person that is 21 or older; travelers on the tour must be 8 years of age or older
- Not valid toward existing reservations
- Merchants cancellation policy applies. For more information, please see www.friendlyplanet.com/terms/packages.html?tourId=469
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy (two people sharing a room). Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the hotel. Single occupancy requires an additional fee of $399
- Rate for extra nights is available upon request; subject to availability and must be confirmed at booking
- All other major US airports available for a surcharge and will be collected at time of booking
- Voucher inclues two nights and One Day at InterContinental Nairobi, one night at Lake Naivasha Sopa Resort, two nights at Keekorok Lodge, five breakfasts, three lunches, four dinners, three game drives in the Masai Mara National Reserve, a boat safari on Lake Naivasha, a visit to Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphan Nursery, a Nairobi sightseeing tour with visits to Langata Giraffe Center, Karen Blixen Museum, and Kazuri Bead Factory, an experienced driver-guide and game-spotter, airline taxes, fuel surcharges, and entrance fees
- Voucher does not include Kenya Visa fee of $50, gratuities to drivers, local guides, etc., meals and beverages other than specified, personal and baggage insurance, and items of a personal nature
- Review the State Department's website for passport/visa requirements and important announcements before traveling to your destination
- Nights must be spent consecutively; all inclusions must be redeemed during one stay
- The promotional value is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON December 28, 2013 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON December 28, 2018 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON December 28, 2013 • Enjoy By December 28, 2013
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 27% savings