In Peru, Ancient Ruins Meet Storied Cityscapes
Friendly Planet Travel • Lima, Peru
- A Seven-Day Tour of Peru, Including:
- Round-Trip Direct Flights from JFK, MIA, or LAX International Airports to Jorge Chávez International Airport in Peru via LAN Airlines
- Round-Trip Transportation from Airport to Hotels and Sightseeing Destinations
- First-Class Accommodations for One Night at Casa Andina Select Miraflores Lima, One Night at Casa Andina Private Collection Sacred Valley or La Hacienda del Valle, One Night at El MaPi Hotel Machu Picchu, and Two Nights at Casa Andina Private Collection Cusco or Hotel Novotel Cusco
- Daily Buffet Breakfast and One Lunch
- Visit to Ollantaytambo and Pisac Market
- VistaDome Train to Machu Picchu
- Full Day at Machu Picchu
- City Tours of Cusco and Lima
- Professional English-Speaking Local Tour Guides
- Airline Taxes, Fuel Surcharges, and Entrance Fees Included
- Priced per Person Based on Double Occupancy (See Fine Print)
If vine-veiled temples and mysterious ancient empires ignite your imagination, Peru is the place for you. Here, steamy jungle pathways wind along mountain ridges en route to some of the world's most mind-blowing ruins. Home to the snow-capped Andes, the lush Amazon Basin, and a desert-dusted coastline, this South American country has a wildlife-packed landscape—exotic beasts like pumas, llamas, and giant anacondas call the "Land of the Incas" home.
Beyond its surplus of stone masterpieces, Peru also boasts a host of enchanting cities. Once hailed as the "City of Kings" by Spanish conquistadors, Lima's historic streets are sprinkled with Spanish Colonial-style cafés, glass skyscrapers, and grand plazas, while Cusco's colorful cathedrals offer an ethereal gateway to Machu Picchu.
Peru's storied shrines and charismatic cityscapes are truly transcendent—with this seven-day Escape from Friendly Planet Travel, you can see their splendor firsthand:
day 1: Depart from JFK, MIA, or LAX International Airports on a direct flight to Lima via LAN Airlines. Once in Peru's capital city, touch down at Jorge Chávez International Airport where guides will assist you with customs and accompany you to your hotel.
Overnight at the Casa Andina Miraflores Select.
day 2: Your morning in Lima begins with breakfast, after which you'll transfer to the airport and catch a short flight to Cusco. Situated at 11,000 feet above sea level, this ancient city is considered the capital of the Inca Empire. Upon arrival, head to nearby Pisac, a picturesque Andean village with a vibrant marketplace. Pick up a few locally made ponchos and ceramics before continuing to Ollantaytambo.
Ollantaytambo rests at the foot of the ruins that once protected the lower Urubamba Valley, known by natives as the Sacred Valley. This colossal architectural site was still under construction at the time of the conquest by Spain and thus was never completed. Trek toward the temple at the top of a series of steep terraces before cozying up for the night.
Overnight at Casa Andina Private Collection Sacred Valley or La Hacienda del Valle. Breakfast provided.
day 3: Breeze through breakfast before snapping shots of the scenery during the short drive from your hotel to the Ollanta railroad station. Here, you'll board a VistaDome train that will take you through the lush Urubamba Valley to Machu Picchu.
Unknown to the outside world until 1911, Machu Picchu is now the most recognizable symbol of the Incan Empire. Believed to have served as a posh country retreat for Inca nobility, the complex consists of giant walls, terraces, and ramps constructed from precisely cut rock formations. After exploring this ancient masterpiece, enjoy the remainder of the day and evening at the foot of Machu Picchu in Aguas Calientes.
Overnight at the El MaPi Hotel. Breakfast provided.
day 4: Awaken for breakfast before enjoying an optional second visit to Machu Picchu—the excursion includes transportation and entrance fees and will be available for purchase locally for $74. Later, travel to Cusco via the train. Upon your arrival, a box lunch will be provided and a panoramic tour will guide you through the city's main sites. Explore the Plaza de Armas, the center of the Inca Empire. Then, just a few blocks away, discover the ruins of the Koricancha, an Inca temple built in honor of the Sun God. During Inca times, this temple was literally covered with gold.
Overnight at the Casa Andina Private Collection Cusco or Hotel Novotel Cusco. Breakfast and lunch provided.
day 5: Nosh on breakfast before spending the day at your leisure to explore Cusco. Saunter through the main square or wander through the many charming side streets of this beautiful town high in the Andes Mountains. Alternatively, take advantage of an optional morning excursion to Tipon and Oropesa, as well as an optional afternoon excursion to explore Cusco's nearby ruins, such as the Sacsayhuaman fortress.
Overnight at the Casa Andina Private Collection Cusco or Hotel Novotel Cusco. Breakfast provided.
day 6: After getting your fill at breakfast, spend the remainder of the morning at your leisure. Or, take advantage of an optional excursion to the mountain village of Chinchero. Later in the afternoon, transfer to the airport for your flight to Lima, where upon your arrival, you'll be treated to a panoramic tour of the city. Drive by the Monastery of San Francisco, the Cathedral of Lima, the ornate Archbishop's Palace, and other important sites, before doing whatever you like for the rest of the evening. Afterward, bid adiós as you transfer to the airport for your overnight flight back to the states.
day 7: Your return flight from Lima to JFK, MIA, or LAX departs after midnight and touches down later in the morning.
For more information, view the Friendly Planet Travel detailed itinerary.
2013 Departure Dates
JFK ($2,049): November 20, December 4, and December 11
LAX ($2,149): December 4 and December 11
MIA ($1,799): December 4 and December 11
2014 Departure Dates
JFK ($2,049): January 15, February 12, March 12, April 2, and May 7
LAX ($2,199): January 15, February 12, March 12, April 2, and May 7
MIA ($1,799): January 15, February 12, March 12, April 2, and May 7
Passengers departing from JFK or LAX will depart one day earlier and arrive in Lima on the morning of Day 1. An additional night's accommodation is included. Please refer to the flight schedule for details.
"Like a continent in miniature, Peru will astound you with its diversity. Not even fierce Inca warriors or Spanish conquistadors could totally dominate such jaw-dropping terrain."-- Lonely Planet
escapes 30-day promise
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; must be booked by August 12, 2013
- Must be 21 or older to make booking and anyone under 18 must be travelling with another person that is 21 or older; travelers on the tour must be 8 years of age or older
- Not valid toward existing reservations
- Merchants cancellation policy applies. For more information, please see www.friendlyplanet.com/terms/packages.html?tourId=480
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy (two people sharing a room). Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the hotel. Single occupancy requires an additional fee of $399
- Rate for extra nights is available upon request; subject to availability and must be confirmed at booking
- All other major US airports available for a surcharge and will be collected at time of booking
- Voucher includes first-class accommodations for One night at Casa Andina Select Miraflores Lima, one night at Casa Andina Private Collection Sacred Valley or La Hacienda del Valle, one night at El MaPi Hotel Machu Picchu, two nights at Casa Andina Private Collection Cusco or Hotel Novotel Cusco, daily buffet breakfast, one lunch, a visit to Ollantaytambo and Pisac Market, a VistaDome train to Machu Picchu, a full day at Machu Picchu, city tours of Cusco and Lima, professional English-speaking local tour guides, airline taxes, fuel surcharges, and, entrance fees
- Voucher does not include gratuities to drivers, local guides, etc., meals and beverages other than specified, personal and baggage insurance, and items of a personal nature
- Review the State Department's website for passport/visa requirements and important announcements before traveling to your destination
- Nights must be spent consecutively; all inclusions must be redeemed during one stay
- The promotional value is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON May 7, 2014 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON May 7, 2019 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON May 7, 2014 • Enjoy By May 7, 2014
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 24% savings