Haunted Hotel from Stephen King's The Shining
The Stanley Hotel • Estes Park, CO
- A One-Night Stay for Two in a Classic Room, Sundays through Thursdays ($99)
- Or, a One-Night Stay for Two in a Classic Room, Fridays and Saturdays ($129)
- $15 Dining Credit at Cascades Restaurant
- Combine Vouchers to Stay for Up to Three Nights
Grand, historic, haunted—this Estes Park hotel so charms its guests that some have never left.
Looming in the shadow of Longs Peak, The Stanley Hotel of Estes Park, Colorado, has a reputation as widespread as the Rockies. A stay at the imposing Georgian Revival property—surrounded by 55 sleepy acres of deep-green landscape—inspired Stephen King's best-selling horror novel The Shining.
The lovingly preserved hotel hasn't changed much in the intervening years—cavernous hallways and a gracious ballroom are sublime reminders of its original era. Guest rooms remain as grand as ever, with stately furnishings, plush bedding, and oversized windows. But be sure to keep alert no matter what chamber you stay in: Many of its first residents, though seldom seen, linger a century later.
Just listen for the sound of the owner's wife playing piano in the Music Room, or children laughing as they scurry up and down the halls of the fourth floor. The Stanley's original housekeeper still rearranges the furniture in iconic Room 217 from time to time. None of these folks are still alive, of course, but they make for friendly company when you find yourself alone inside America's original haunted hotel.
Beyond The Stanley, Estes Park is a natural haven for outdoor enthusiasts and a gateway to the Rocky Mountain National Park. Although only 6,000 people make their permanent homes here, the town welcomes nearly three million visitors per year to hike the Bear Lake Trailhead, fish on Lone Pine Lake, and play in the winter snowfall. But if you'd like to put your feet up, there's plenty of relaxation in this mountain outpost, too; intimate art exhibits, casual dining, and cozy nightlife succeed at making inside as great as out.
All work and no play would make anyone dull. Indulge your fun-loving side by hiking through Rocky Mountain National Park with a group from the Estes Park Mountain Shop, or drive an hour south to hit the slopes of Eldora Mountain Resort in winter. Later, pass the twilight hours in the hotel's sculpture garden before pulling up a seat at Cascades for an exquisite steak dinner.
Inside the hotel, there's much more than meets the eye. You can catch a glimpse into the property's storied past during a 90-minute hands-on Stanley tour. See and hear about its beginnings, the owner's various companies, Stanley Steam Cars, and the original layout of the hotel. When the moon rises, brave guests can gather their wits for a night ghost tour of the property's haunted history, learning about the paranormal phenomena and wandering the Concert Hall—where ghosts are most active—in the pitch black of night.
"The Stanley is one of Colorado's great old hotels, impeccably maintained in its historic state, yet with all the modern conveniences. The hotel that inspired Stephen King's novel The Shining conducts historical and 'ghost' tours daily."-- Read Fodor's Review of The Stanley Hotel
"The hotel was beautiful and a snowstorm made it magical. It was a little noisy being on the end room with people walking the halls. That sound was people... wasn't it?"-- LivingSocial Member
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Limit 2 per customer, 1 additional as a gift; up to 3 vouchers may be combined to extend stay
- If redeeming multiple vouchers, reservations must be booked individually
- Only valid for stays October 28, 2014 - May 31, 2015
- Reservations required and subject to availability
- Not valid toward existing or room block reservations
- Voucher includes $15 dining credit at Cascades Restaurant
- Nights must be spent consecutively; all inclusions must be redeemed during one stay
- Voucher valid for 2 guests
- Merchant cancellation/rescheduling policy and fees apply once booking is made; voucher subject to forfeiture
- Taxes not included; payable directly to the property
- Incidental charges, charges for additional services and gratuity at the property are not included
- Upgrades to haunted rooms and condos available for an additional fee; please inquire with merchant at time of booking reservation
- Blackout date(s): October 30-31, 2014; November 7-8; 14-15, 2014; December 31, 2014 - January 3, 2015; March 13-14, 2015; April 30 - May 3, 2015
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON May 31, 2015 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON May 27, 2020 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON May 31, 2015 • Enjoy By May 31, 2015
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 0% savings