On Top of the World in Tanzania
Skyline Travel & Safaris •
- A Ten-Day Mount Kilimajaro Trek ($2,885 per Person), Including:
- Round-Trip Flights from New York (JFK) or Washington Dulles (IAD) to Kilimanjaro (JRO) via Turkish Airlines
- Round-Trip Ground Transportation from the Airport to Hotel and Marangu Mountain Gate
- Double-Occupancy Accommodations for Three Nights at Springlands Hotel in Moshi and Five Nights in Mountain Huts on Kilimanjaro
- Seven Breakfasts, Four Lunches, and Four Dinners
- Two Porters per Person, Mountain Guide, and Chef During the Trek
- Airline Taxes, Fuel Surcharges, Hotel Fees, Entrance Fees, and Climbing Fees Included
- Priced per Person Based on Double Occupancy (See Fine Print)
Dream African getaways are about as diverse as the continent's geography. But for the serious outdoor enthusiast, a trek to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro leads the all-time wish list.
You'll always remember standing on top of the world—gazing down on the sun as it breaks through the pillowy clouds—but your experience along the way will stay with you just as long. Begin by traversing the low-lying jungles, crossing alpine scrub, and reaching desolate terrain that looks like a view through the Hubble telescope. The balmy atmosphere will thin out to crisp, cool air as you ascend, challenging your body to summit Uhuru Peak, the highest point in Africa. If the trip up feels like the deepest breath you've ever taken, the descent will be the most satisfying exhale you've ever known.
Though it requires no true climbing—only rigorous hiking—this ten-day trek to the peak of Mount Kilimanjaro is both difficult and rewarding. But rest assured, you'll have a helping hand along the way, courtesy of Skyline Travel & Safaris.
days 1 and 2: Board a late evening overnight flight from New York City or Washington, DC, bound for Kilimanjaro International Airport. You'll stop over in Istanbul the following afternoon, changing planes for the connecting overnight flight to Kilimanjaro.
day 3: Arrive early in the morning at Kilimanjaro International Airport, where a Skyline Travel representative will be waiting to greet you and transport you to Moshi for early check-in at your hotel.
You'll have the remainder of the day to rest and recover from travel.
Overnight at Springlands Hotel. Breakfast provided.
day 4: Today is devoted to more rest and a briefing on the expedition. Staff will be on hand to answer questions and assist in selecting your rental equipment.
Overnight at Springlands Hotel. Breakfast provided.
day 5: After breakfast, you'll begin the drive to Kilimanjaro National Park, about two hours from Moshi. Register with the park staff, then enter through the Marangu Mountain Gate. The first leg of the trek will last three or four hours, crossing through the rain forest until you reach Mandara Hut—8,856 feet above sea level—for the night.
Overnight at Mandara Hut. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 6: In the morning, you'll set out on a five-hour trek through the moorland to Horombo. The route affords lovely views of Mawenzi and Kibo peaks as well as the changing flora. Spend the night at Horombo Hut, 12,335 feet above sea level, and be sure to fill up on fluids.
Overnight at Horombo Hut. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 7: From Horombo, it's off to the saddle of Kilimanjaro, a swath of alpine desert slung between Kibo and Mawenzi peaks. You'll hike for five or six hours before reaching the stone construction Kibo Hut—about 15,416 feet above sea level. This will be your final rest stop before the summit, so you'll need to prepare your equipment and get as much sleep as possible.
Overnight at Kibo Hut. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 8: Your eight-hour trek to the summit of Kilimanjaro will begin well before dawn, around 3 a.m. Ascending steep, frozen scree fields, you'll reach Gilman's Point on the crater rim of the mountain. The final, snowy leg of the hike culminates at Uhuru Peak, the highest point in Africa at 18,640 feet. Snap photos of the accomplishment and survey the clouds below before heading back down the mountain. After a nearly six-hour descent, you'll arrive back at Horombo Hut for a celebratory evening of camaraderie and storytelling.
Overnight at Horombo Hut. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner included.
day 9: The descent continues until you reach the Marangu Mountain Gate, where transportation awaits to deliver you back to the hotel in Moshi. You'll bathe, rest, and recover at the hotel all day and most of the night until a late-evening transfer to the Kilimanjaro airport.
Partial night at Springlands Hotel. Breakfast included.
day 10: Your early-morning flight departs around 2 a.m. and arrives back in the US late that same night.
New York City (JFK) departures: November 11, 2013; January 21, 2014; February 17, 2014; March 10, 2014 ($2,885)
Washington, DC (IAD) departures: November 11, 2013; January 21, 2014; February 17, 2014; March 10, 2014 ($2,885)
*Priced per person based on double occupancy (see fine print)
"Mount Kilimanjaro, the world's tallest freestanding mountain and Africa's highest peak at 19,341 feet, is the ultimate climb—except that it is attainable even for novice climbers. Call it Everest for everyone."-- Travel + Leisure
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations must be made by September 25, 2013
- Not valid toward existing or room block reservations
- Merchant cancellation policy applies. For more information, please see www.skylinesafaris.com/kilimanjaro.php
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy (two people sharing a room). Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the property. Single occupancy requires an additional fee of $150. Single Occupancy is only available at the Mountain Hotel; call Skyline Safaris with questions
- All departures must have a minimum of 8 people; if the minimum is not met, Skyline Travel will offer an option to depart during the dates that have reached the minimum or supply a full refund
- Voucher includes Double-Occupancy Accommodations for Three Nights at Springlands Hotel in Moshi and Five Nights in Mountain Huts on Kilimanjaro, Seven Breakfasts, Four Lunches, and Four Dinners, Two Porters per Person, Mountain Guide, and Chef During the Trek, Airline Taxes, Fuel Surcharges, Hotel Fees, Entrance Fees, and Climbing Fees
- Voucher does not include passport and visa expenses (if applicable), gratuities to drivers, local guides, etc., meals and beverages other than specified, personal and baggage insurance, and items of a personal nature
- Documentation Required to Travel; Passport valid for at least 6 months from time of departure, Visa can be applied in the U.S or on arrival in Tanzania ($100), and a Yellow Fever vaccination is recommended
- Review the State Department's website for passport/visa requirements and important announcements before traveling to your destination
- Nights must be spent consecutively; all inclusions must be redeemed during one stay
- The promotional value is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON March 9, 2014 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON March 9, 2019 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON March 9, 2014 • Enjoy By March 9, 2014
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 38% savings