Patagonian Ice Fields: Trek to the End of the World
OneSeed Expeditions •
- A Six-Day Trekking Tour of the Argentine Patagonia ($1,369 per Person), Including:
- Round-Trip Ground Transportation from the Airport to Hotels and Itinerary Destinations (Flights Not Included)
- Double-Occupancy Accommodations for Two Nights at Hostería El Paraíso in El Chaltén, One Night at a Piedra del Fraile Mountain Lodge, One Night Camping at Laguna Capri Campground, and One Night at Hostería La Estepa in El Calafate
- Three Breakfasts, Three Lunches, and Two Dinners
- Three-Day Guided Trek Through the Southern Patagonian Ice Fields
- English-Speaking Guides Throughout
- Camping Tents, Sleeping Pads, Group Equipment, and Cookware Provided
- Hotel Fees, Entrance Fees, and Travelex Medical and Evacuation Insurance Included
- Priced per Person Based on Double Occupancy (See Fine Print)
Remote, empty, and silently beautiful, the Southern Patagonian Ice Fields are like nothing you've ever experienced. At the far southern tip of Argentina, windswept river valleys lead to electric-blue lakes, formed from the runoff of colossal glaciers that dwarf everything in their shadows. Crane your neck to see the crags and spires of such giants as Mount Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre, whose peaks have been encrusted with ice since before the first humans appeared on the continent. These are two of the most technically challenging mountains to climb in the world. Only a handful of people are known to have ever summited Cerro Torre; by comparison, 234 climbers summited Mount Everest on a single day in 2012.
Lucky for you, no climbing expertise is required to see the peaks and valleys of the Southern Patagonian Ice Field. All you need is this six-day trek from One Seed Expeditions.
day 1: arrival and transfer to el chaltén
The trip begins when a OneSeed staff member picks you up from the El Calafate Airport (or a pre-arranged hotel of your choosing) for the 3.5-hour bus ride to El Chaltén, a mountain village in the Santa Cruz Province known as the Trekking Capital of Argentina. Once you've settled into your El Chaltén hotel, your guides will help you prepare for the next day's trek.
Overnight at Hostería El Paraíso.
day 2: piedra del fraile, pollone glacier, and mount fitz roy
In the morning, take a 30-minute transfer from El Chaltén to the trailhead at Río Eléctrico. You'll begin with a two-hour trek along the Río Eléctrico valley, through one of Patagonia's lovely lenga forests, to the Piedra del Fraile campsite (1,320 feet). Take a short break for lunch, then continue following the valley until you reach the Southern Patagonian Ice Fields. You'll see the Pollone Glacier and the northern face of Mount Fitz Roy before doubling back, pausing to admire the secluded Lago Eléctrico, and returning to Piedra del Fraile. After six hours of trekking today, your group will enjoy a hot meal and get some rest.
Overnight at a Piedra del Fraile mountain lodge. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 3: piedras blancas glacier, laguna de los tres, and laguna capri
Set out from Piedra del Fraile toward the Piedras Blancas Glacier and Río Blanco. The path ascends steeply up to Laguna de los Tres (4,400 feet), the highest point on your trek and the closest you can get to Mount Fitz Roy without technical climbing expertise. At the top, enjoy breathtaking views of Mount Fitz Roy, the surrounding peaks, and the valley through which you have come. Weather permitting, the group will have lunch at Laguna de los Tres before starting the descent towards the Laguna Capri campground (2,630 feet). When all is said and done, you will have trekked for seven to eight hours.
Overnight in tents at Laguna Capri campground. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 4: laguna torre, cerro torre, and el chaltén
Awake before dawn to snap photos of Mount Fitz Roy and Laguna Capri at sunrise. After breakfast, the trek continues through the lenga forest past three lagoons—Madre, Hija, and Neita. Your path is relatively flat—a welcome break from the previous day's climbs—before dropping into the u-shaped glacial valley on your way to Laguna Torre (2,140 feet). There, you'll eat lunch and enjoy views of not only the lagoon, but also its glacier and the famed mountain Cerro Torre. The final leg of your journey descends from Laguna Torre down through the Río Fitz Roy valley, ending back at El Chaltén. You will have trekked roughly six hours today.
Overnight at Hostería El Paraíso. Breakfast and lunch provided.
day 5: return to el calafate
Bid goodbye to the Southern Patagonian Ice Fields before boarding the bus for a 3.5-hour ride back to El Calafate. You'll have the evening free to celebrate with your trekking companions.
Overnight at Hostería La Estepa.
day 6: farewell
Your OneSeed Expeditions service ends this morning.
• Arriving December 22, 2013 ($1,369)
• Arriving February 23, 2014 ($1,369)
• Arriving March 16, 2014 ($1,369)
• Arriving April 6, 2014 ($1,369)
*Flights not included. Priced per person based on double occupancy (see fine print)
"Drawn to its emptiness, its wind-swept horizons, and its promise of discovery, many adventurers are driven to Patagonia by the sense that it's the end of the world."-- Frommer's
escapes 30-day promise
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; must be made by December 23, 2013
- Not valid toward existing or room block reservations
- Voucher is valid for one person only
- When purchasing and gifting vouchers please list name as it is listed on their passport
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy. Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the hotel. Single occupancy requires an additional fee of $150
- Merchant cancellation policy applies. For more information, please see oneseedexpeditions.com/argentina-chalten-expedition
- Includes Round-Trip Ground Transportation from the Airport to Hotels and Itinerary Destinations (Flights Not Included), Double-Occupancy Accommodations for Two Nights at Hostería El Paraíso in El Chaltén, One Night at Piedra del Faile Mountain Lodge, One Night Camping at Laguna Capri Campground, and One Night at Hosteria La Estepa in El Calafate, Three Breakfasts, Three Lunches, and Two Dinners, Three-Day Guided Trek Through Argentine Patagonia, English-Speaking Guides Throughout, Camping Tents, Sleeping Pads, Group Equipment, and Cookware Provided, Hotel Fees, Entrance Fees, and Travelex Medical and Evacuation Insurance
- Does not include international airfare, gratuities, meals, snacks or drinks not specified in the itinerary, other personal expenses, passport and visa fees (visa obtained upon arrival for US and Canadian passport holders)
- Review the State Department's website for passport/visa requirements and important announcements before traveling to your destination
- All discounted and promotional offers made through third-party partners are non-refundable
- The promotional value is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON April 6, 2014 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON March 17, 2019 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON April 6, 2014 • Enjoy By April 6, 2014
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 0% savings