From Angkor Wat to Halong Bay and Beyond
Friendly Planet Travel •
- An 11-Day Tour of Cambodia and Vietnam ($2,659 to $2,949 per Person), Including:
- One-Way International Flight from New York City or Los Angeles to Cambodia via China Airlines
- One-Way International Flight from Vietnam to New York City or Los Angeles via China Airlines
- Intra-Asia Flights from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap; Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City; Ho Chi Minh City to Hai Phong
- All Ground Transportation
- Double-Occupancy Accommodations for One Night at Himawari Hotel in Phnom Penh, Two Nights in Sokha Angkor Resort in Angkor, Two Nights at Grand Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City, One Night at Halong Plaza Hotel in Halong Bay, and Two Nights at Hilton Garden Inn in Hanoi
- Eight Breakfasts, One Lunch, and Two Dinners
- Guided Tours of Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City, and Hanoi
- Tuk-Tuk Ride to Angkor Wat and a Five-Hour Cruise on Halong Bay with Lunch
- Visit to Angkor Archeological Park, Temples of Small Circuit, Lake Tonle Sap, and Chong Kneah Village
- Professional English-Speaking Local Guides
- Airline Taxes, Fuel Surcharges and Fees, and Entrance Fees per Itinerary Included
- Priced per Person Based on Double Occupancy (See Fine Print)
Southeast Asia is a land where city streets hum with tireless motion, millennia of culture stir in the fissures of ruined monuments, and green waters spill out toward the far reaches of sight. The globe will never seem so big as it does on your first trip to Cambodia and Vietnam.
In Cambodia, the streets of Siem Reap echo of centuries past and illuminate the thriving economy of the present. Nearby you'll find Angkor Wat, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, built by the Khmer Empire centuries ago. Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) rattles back and forth between noisy street markets, wide French-inspired boulevards, and serene beaches. Hanoi blends the clamorous present with a hushed reverence for Vietnam's past. Urban life whirls among the sky-high buildings, modest temples, and food carts enveloped in the aroma of steaming pho. East of Hanoi, crane your neck to admire towering limestone formations erupting from the waters of Ha Long Bay.
Experience the legacy of Southeast Asia with a tour through Cambodia and Vietnam, courtesy of Friendly Planet Travel.
day 1 and 2: flight to phnom penh
Board your flight to Phnom Penh via Taipei. You'll cross the International Dateline and lose a day (but you'll make it up on your return trip).
day 3: phnom penh
Arrive in Phnom Penh—the fascinating, bustling capital city of Cambodia on the banks of the Mekong, Tonle Sap, and Tonle Bassac rivers. Meet your guide and transfer to your hotel for check-in. Enjoy some time to stroll the lovely streets around your centrally located hotel or take a nap.
In the afternoon, take advantage of an included bonus tour of Phnom Penh, beginning with an overview of the city from atop Wat Phnom. Proceed to the incredible Silver Pagoda in the Royal Palace complex where you will find a dazzling green-crystal Buddha and a life-size Buddha made of solid gold and encrusted with 9,500 diamonds. Continue to the National Museum, which has a wonderful collection of Khmer art and sculpture. Time permitting, pay a respectful visit to Tuol Sleng Museum of Genocidal Crimes, a Khmer Rouge prison and torture chamber from which only seven out of more than 30,000 inmates survived. Return to your hotel and prepare to join your fellow travelers at a welcome dinner.
Overnight at Himawari Hotel. Dinner provided.
day 4: phnom penh - siem reap - angkor
Transfer to the airport to board your flight to Siem Reap in the morning. Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel before setting off for the Angkor Archeological Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which contains the ruins of more than a thousand stone temples. The temples are the surviving remnants of a grand metropolis built by the Khmer civilization between 802 and 1220 AD. Mysteriously abandoned in the 15th century, the site remained largely cloaked by the forest until the late 19th century, when archaeologists began to clear away the forest and embark on a long restoration process that continues today.
Begin your explorations at the mysterious city of Angkor Thom. Its temple is a surreal sight that most visitors never forget. Atop each of its 50 towers, staring out in the directions of the four points of the compass, are four giant faces, depicting Khmer rulers as Buddhist deities. Other sites you'll visit in this complex include the Baphuon, Elephant Terrace, Leper King Terrace, and Royal Palace area.
Overnight at Sokha Angkor Resort. Breakfast provided.
day 5: siem reap
After breakfast, depart for your exploration of the temples of the Small Circuit, the most famous being Ta Prohm temple. Shrouded in jungle and left untouched among twisted banyan trees and stone pillars, it is has the most mysterious atmosphere of the temples in the Angkor area. Visit Banteay Kdei, a Buddhist monastery from the 12th century and Srah Srang as well as the twin towers of Chau Say Tevoda and Thommanon.
In the afternoon, depart by local tuk-tuk to visit the intricately carved ruins at Angkor Wat, built by Suryavarman II to honor the Hindu god Vishnu. Hundreds of fine carvings and scenes from Hindu mythology can still be viewed here. Enjoy the sunset over Angkor Wat before returning to your hotel.
Overnight at Sokha Angkor Resort. Breakfast and dinner provided.
day 6: siem reap - lake tonle sap - ho chi minh city
Depart Siem Reap for a visit to Lake Tonle Sap—Southeast Asia's largest freshwater lake. Board a boat and visit the Chong Kneah village to see the floating houses, farms, and even a hospital. This afternoon, enjoy some free time to visit Siem Reap market.
Transfer to the airport for your short flight to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam. Upon arrival, enjoy a city tour of dynamic Ho Chi Minh City, still called Saigon by many locals. Highlights include: the Notre Dame Cathedral, Presidential Palace, Old Saigon Post Office, Dong Khoi Street (formerly Rue Catinat), the Continental Hotel, Opera House, and City Hall. Later, check-in at your hotel.
Overnight at Grand Hotel Saigon. Breakfast provided.
day 7: ho chi minh city
Enjoy a full day to explore this vibrant city on your own. We recommend an optional full-day excursion to the Mekong Delta with lunch and an evening vespa ride to sample some of the local cuisine and experience the nightlife of Saigon (additional cost).
Overnight at Grand Hotel Saigon. Breakfast provided.
day 8: ho chi minh city - halong bay
Enjoy the morning at your leisure, or take advantage of an optional morning excursion to the famous Cu Chi Tunnels. In the afternoon, transfer to the airport for your early afternoon flight to Hai Phong. Upon arrival, transfer through the rich farmlands of the Red River Delta to your hotel in Halong Bay for check-in. The rest of the day is free of planned activities.
Overnight at Halong Plaza Hotel. Breakfast provided.
day 9: halong bay - hanoi
Head to the pier and set sail on a private junk boat for a five-hour cruise on the emerald green waters of Halong Bay. Enjoy a fresh seafood lunch as you cruise amongst the spectacular limestone islands. Return to Halong Harbor then transfer to Hanoi. Upon arrival, you will be escorted to your hotel for check-in.
Overnight at the Hilton Garden Inn. Breakfast and lunch provided.
day 10: hanoi
This morning's half-day tour of Hanoi begins with Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum as well as his private residence from 1954 until 1969. The wooden house, which was built on stilts, is surrounded by lovely peaceful gardens. In the same complex you will see the One Pillar Pagoda, founded by King Ly Thai To in 1049. This structure has become an important symbol for the people of Hanoi. Continue on to Hoa Lo Prison (formerly known as the "Hanoi Hilton" during the American war). Before returning to your hotel, visit the Museum of Ethnology where you observe Vietnam's diverse culture through the Museum's unique presentation of articles and dress used in daily life. You may also take an optional hour-long cyclo tour complete with a water puppet show (additional cost).
Overnight at the Hilton Garden Inn. Breakfast provided.
day 11: depart vietnam
Transfer to the airport to check in for your return flight to the USA.
New York City (JFK) departures: September 8 and October 6 ($2,949), November 3 ($2,909), December 1 ($2,949), January 12, 2015 ($2,909)
Los Angeles (LAX) departures: September 8 and October 6 ($2,699), November 3 ($2,659), December 1 ($2,699), January 12, 2015 ($2,659)
*Priced per person based on double occupancy (see fine print)
"Blessed with a ravishing coastline, emerald-green mountains, breathtaking national parks, dynamic cities, outstanding cultural interest and one of the world’s best cuisines, Vietnam has it all."-- Lonely Planet
"Just as Angkor is more than its wat, so too is Cambodia more than its temples. The chaotic yet charismatic capital of Phnom Penh is a hub of political intrigue, economic vitality and intellectual debate."-- Lonely Planet
escapes 30-day promise
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; must be booked by April 14, 2014
- Must be 21 or older to make booking and anyone under 18 must be traveling with another person that is 21 or older; travelers on the tour must be 8 years of age or older
- Not valid toward existing reservations
- Voucher is non-refundable from LivingSocial once voucher is booked with Merchant
- Cancellation policy: $300 fee to cancel up to 75 days prior to departure; $600 fee for 74-45 days prior to departure; $1000 fee for 44-30 days prior to departure; $1500 fee for 29-10 days prior to departure; no refund for 9 days or less prior to departure
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy (two people sharing a room). Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the hotel. Single occupancy requires an additional $499 due at booking
- Includes One-Way International Flight from New York City or Los Angeles to Cambodia, One-Way International Flight from Vietnam to New York City or Los Angeles, Intra-Asia Flights from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap; Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City; Ho Chi Minh City to Hai Phong, All Ground Transportation, Double-Occupancy Accommodations for One Night at Himawari Hotel in Phnom Penh, Two Nights in Sokha Angkor Resort in Angkor, Two Nights at Grand Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City, One Night at Halong Plaza Hotel in Halong Bay, and Two Nights at Hilton Garden Inn in Hanoi, Eight Breakfasts, One Lunch, and Two Dinners, Guided Tours of Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City, and Hanoi, Tuk-Tuk Ride to Angkor Wat and a Five-Hour Cruise on Halong Bay with Lunch, Visit to Angkor Archeological Park, Temples of Small Circuit, Lake Tonle Sap, and Chong Kneah Village, Professional English-Speaking Local Guides, Airline Taxes, Fuel Surcharges and Fees, and Entrance Fees per Itinerary Included
- Does not include $20 Cambodia visa fee, $150 Vietnam visa fee, passports, visas, gratuities to drivers, local guides, etc., meals and beverages other than specified, personal and baggage insurance, and items of a personal nature
- Passports are required
- Similar or better hotels will be substituted based on availability
- Review the State Department's website for passport/visa requirements and important announcements before traveling to your destination
- Nights must be spent consecutively; all inclusions must be redeemed during one stay
- The promotional value is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON January 12, 2015 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON January 12, 2020 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON January 12, 2015 • Enjoy By January 12, 2015
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms