Expedition to Alaska: Rafting the Chitina River
McCarthy River Tours & Outiftters •
- A Four-Day Alaskan River Rafting Expedition ($650 per Person), Including:
- Round-Trip Ground Transportation from McCarthy to the River (Flights Not Included)
- Three Nights of Double-Occupancy Tent Camping Along the River
- Three Breakfasts, Four Lunches, and Three Dinners
- Three Days of Rafting with Paddle and Oar Boats on the Kennicott, Nizina, Chitina, and Copper Rivers
- Daily Hiking and Exploration Along the River
- Pre-Trip Meeting, Orientation, and Professional River Guides Throughout
- All River Gear, Group Camping Supplies, Tents, One Dry Suit, and One Large Dry Bag Provided
- Priced per Person Based on Double Occupancy (See Fine Print)
The Copper River is tenth-largest in the United States, but it's no surprise if you haven't heard of it. This 300-mile behemoth rises from a glacier in the remote Wrangell Mountains of south-central Alaska, eventually emptying into the frigid Gulf of Alaska. Its many tributaries, including the Chitina River, make for excellent rafting amid Alaska's expansive wilderness. The Chitina teems with spawning salmon and draws plenty of hungry fishermen, from grizzly bears to bald eagles. Class II rapids are suitable for floating, kayaking, rafting, and canoeing.
Alaska's early copper prospectors hit the motherlode on the Kennicott, Nizina, Chitina, and Copper Rivers. Follow these same waterways on a four-day rafting trip courtesy of McCarthy River Tours & Outfitters.
pre-launch: Travel to McCarthy, Alaska, in time for a pre-trip meeting at the MRTO Boat Barn at 6 p.m. on the night before launch. Here, you'll get fitted for a dry-suit, receive one large dry bag for your personal gear, discuss trip details, and make arrangements for the morning pickup and shuttle to the put-in location. You will be responsible for your own lodging in McCarthy this evening.
day 1: An MRTO shuttle will pick you up from your lodging and transport you to the put-in location, where your guides will give a thorough river orientation and safety talk prior to launching. You will cover approximately 17 miles on the river today, stopping midway for a hearty lunch. Float the length of the Kennicott and Nizina Rivers, through the picturesque Nizina Canyon, prior to setting up for the night close to the confluence of the Nizina and Chitina Rivers. Guides will help pitch tents and give a camp safety briefing, after which you will be free to enjoy some light hiking, dinner, and storytelling around the fire.
Overnight in a tent. Lunch and dinner provided.
day 2: The second day starts off with a cup of coffee and a filling breakfast before floating and paddling on the Chitina River. Much larger than the previous two rivers in volume, the Chitina is great for spotting bald and golden eagles, moose, bears and even an occasional harbor seal that has followed the salmon up stream! The giant braids of the Chitina River make for fun river reading and new growth after a 2009 fire dominates the view to the south. You will cover approximately 17 to 20 miles today, stopping for lunch and hikes along the way. After about four hours on the river, your guides will help you set up camp, prepare dinner, and mingle around the fire.
Overnight in a tent. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 3: Today, you will cover another 20 miles of river with stops at prominent side drainages for some great exploring, rock hunting, and lunch. After another five hours of river time, you'll be ready to set up camp and a feast for your last night, taking in all the beauty of the Alaskan wilderness.
Overnight in a tent. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 4: After breakfast, continue rafting another seven miles to the take-out spot at Chitina. Along the way, the Chitina merges with the Copper River, doubling in size. The group will arrive at the take-out between 11:00 a.m. and noon, have a nice big lunch, de-rig the boats, and meet the shuttle driver for a ride back to McCarthy.
Breakfast and lunch provided.
• June 16, 2014 ($650)
• July 21, 2014 ($650)
• August 7, 2014 ($650)
• August 19, 2014 ($650)
*Priced per person based on double occupancy (see fine print)
"Between the two Tebay Lakes and McCarthy winds the Chitina River, wild and milk-silty, braiding uncrossable channels across a half-mile-wide bed, with eerie pools of turquoise and antifreeze green."-- Outside
escapes 30-day promise
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; must be made at least 2 months prior to scheduled departure
- Not valid toward existing or room block reservations
- Merchant cancellation policy applies
- Voucher is non-refundable from LivingSocial once voucher is booked with Merchant."
- Voucher is valid for one person only
- Must be at least 10 years old to participate; must travel with a parent or guardian if you are under 18
- When purchasing and gifting vouchers please list name as it is listed on their passport
- Trips based on four person minimum; if minimum is not met McCarthy River Tours will work to confirm a new date
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy. Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together. Solo tents may be available for $15; must be confirmed at booking
- Recommended packing list: tinyurl.com/pnrwnh9
- Does not include airfare, $60 Government Land Use & Processing fee (per person), gratuities, meals, snacks or drinks not specified in the itinerary, other personal expenses, passport/visa fees if applicable
- Review the State Department's website for passport/visa requirements and important announcements before traveling to your destination
- All participants must sign risk waiver
- The dates listed are the launch dates for the trip, you must arrive the day before for the pre-trip meeting
- The Pre-trip meeting will be at the MRTO Boat Barn at 6 p.m. on the night before your rafting trip begins
- The promotional value is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON August 19, 2014 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON August 19, 2019 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON August 19, 2014 • Enjoy By August 19, 2014
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 0% savings