Take a scenic train ride through the Trough that is home to American bald eagles
Groupon Customer Reviews
Error submitting request
Thank you for your response
About This Deal
★ Available Trips:
- Three-hour train Trough trip with Standard Coach admission for one adult or child
- Eight-hour all-day train Trough trip with Standard Coach admission for one adult or child
- Valid April 15 – September 30
★ Three-Hour Train Trough Trip:
- Departure time: 1 p.m.
- Click here to view the schedule.
- Enjoy scenic views during this three-hour excursion.
- Narrated journey captures the beauty that surrounds the train as it goes southbound through the Trough to Sycamore bridge and back.
★ All-Day (Eight-Hour) Train Trough Trip to Petersburg:
- Departure time: 9:30 a.m.
- Available from May. Click here to view the schedule.
- Eight-to-nine-hour trip to Petersburg.
- Layover in Petersburg allows one to explore this quaint town and enjoy the unique shops and restaurants there.
★ Important Info:
- Departure location: Wappocomo Station at 149 Eagle Drive, Romney, WV 26757
- Age ranges for age-specific tickets:
- Adult: 17 and above
- Child: 2–16
- Free admission for children aged 0 to 23 months. However, they still require a ticket through Potomac Eagle and customers just need to mention they will have a lap child.
- Standard Coach: cushioned, bench-style seats have reversible backs so passengers can face in either direction and enjoy the scenery from all angles. Windows can be opened, and limited heat is also available.
- A concession car is available to purchase variety snacks such as hotdogs, nachos, candy bars, ice cream, popcorn and drinks; cash only.
- No smoking, pets, or alcoholic beverages permitted.
- No outside food or drinks are permitted.
★ A View You Can’t Ignore ★
The journey begins at Wappocomo Station, situated next to a charming homestead and a sprawling view of the mountains. Vintage diesels lead passengers through beautiful pastures and farms dating back to the 1700s. As you wind along the South Branch of the Potomac River, you’ll enter a visually-striking gorge known as the Trough. One of the most scenic spots along the South Branch, the Trough is home to American bald eagles. All excursions are round-trip and include narration
★ Bald Eagles ★
In addition to the beautiful scenery and rich history, passengers can enjoy the opportunity to see American bald eagles. Because of the clean water, tall trees, and breathtaking environment, the South Branch makes a perfect home for these birds. As you roll through the valley, you’ll be able to view these birds in their natural habitat. These majestic creatures are easy to spot with their distinctive white head and tail features, and yellow beak and feet.
★ What Happy Passengers Say ★
Jon: We went here for their North Pole Express ride; the kids really enjoyed it and the interactive hosts really added to the ambiance!
Bud: It was a beautiful summer day as we rode in a coach car, windows wide open with a refreshing breeze. Excellent view of the river and mountains. Plenty of opportunities to see American Bald Eagles.
Jill: As promised, so many eagles to view! The fall foliage colors were beautiful throughout the ride. We got a great experience overall. We have been twice and would do the day excursion next with them.
Robin: The trip was great, with a plethora of information and beautiful sites. Seeing the eagles was amazing! It was a very relaxing trip and would recommend it to anyone!
Patti: Do it! They give you real tickets the conductor takes when you board. Felt like that added to the experience being like old-school train trip. Go on the gondola car. That portion made the whole trip. If you can’t get out there go to the open car. You can stand and look out without the window frame. You get awesome views from those two cars. We saw a few eagles, their nests (one has been there since 1987, according to the conductor).
☎️ Booking: Reservation required, contact by phone at (304) 424-0736.
⏳ Validity: Valid April 15 – September 30, 2023.
✔️ Additional Information: Children ages 0 to 23 months are free. However, they still require a ticket through Potomac Eagle and customers just need to mention they will have a lap child.
Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services. Learn about Strike-Through Pricing and Savings