• A Two-Night Stay for Two in a Hotel Room, Sundays through Thursdays ($215) or Fridays and Saturdays ($250) between June 7 and July 4, 2013, or between August 26 and October 6, 2013
• Or, a Three-Night Stay for Two in a Cabin, Sundays through Thursdays ($308) or Thursdays through Sundays ($360) between June 7 and July 4, 2013, or between August 26 and October 6, 2013
• Four-Hour Boat Rental
• $25 Dinner Credit with Purchase of Two Entrées
• Two Hiking Sticks
• S'mores Welcome Basket: Two Postcards, Marshmallows, Graham Crackers, Hershey Bars
• Gift Certificate for the Art Gallery or General Store
• Combine Vouchers to Stay up to Six Nights
Kit Carson Lodge took the road less traveled even before there were roads to travel. More than 85 years ago, when vacation homes began going up around Lake Tahoe, Kit Carson Lodge retreated to Silver Lake, about 45 minutes south, where it's been catering to travelers' rustic sensibilities ever since.
While it's not quite as backwoods as it once was, this 27-unit retreat (19 cabins and 8 hotel rooms) is still in the thick of El Dorado National Forest. At 7,300 feet above sea level, situated at the dead end of Kit Carson Road just steps from the lake, it's maintained a decidedly woodsy, far-from-everything aesthetic with wood-paneled rooms, raftered ceilings, patchwork quilts, and pastoral artwork.
Stay in one of three cabins and you'll be treated to a wood-burning stove, a fully equipped kitchen, and a private deck. While the Cottontail Cabin accommodates two guests, the Deer I and Deer II cabins can sleep up to three people, with a nominal fee for each guest after two. Inquire about larger three-, four-, five-, and six-person cabins for an additional fee.
Explore Silver Lake by boat with your four-hour rental, which can be used for a motorized craft, a kayak, or a canoe. Whatever you choose, make sure to pack your walking stick: A short paddle over to Treasure Island, the lake's largest island, delivers you to secluded forest pathways where excellent views of the Sierra abound.
Your dinner credit at the on-site restaurant scores you anything from Yukon gold potato latkes with red-pepper coulis to pan-sautéed trout to wild mushroom spinach risotto. Complement it with a glass from the locally sourced wine list and cap it all off with crème brûlée.
PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE
PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON August 6, 2013
Kit Carson Lodge
Just South of Tahoe, Far from Everywhere
- from $215