Simpler Times in the Pacific Northwest
Balch Hotel • Dufur, OR
- A Two-Night Stay for Two, Tuesdays through Saturdays
- Daily Three-Course Breakfast for Two
- Bottle of Wine or Champagne and Chocolates Upon Arrival
Modern innovation has made life easy, but in some cases, they just don't make 'em like they used to. You may not long for the days of crank-start cars, but you can return to pleasantly simpler times with this week's Escape to the Balch Hotel in Dufur, Oregon.
Built in 1907—a year before the Ford Model T—this lovingly restored hotel will host you and a fellow time traveler for two nights, Tuesdays through Saturdays ($110). You'll receive daily three-course breakfast for two as well as a bottle of wine or champagne and chocolates upon arrival.
Walk through the doors of the building and you might expect to hear jaunty piano music. Some things have changed—the Balch used steam heat and charged as little as 50 cents per night when it opened—but original features like an 18-inch-thick brick exterior and vintage fire hose and electric meter remain.
Whether or not you choose to don a dapper bowler to better play the part, the hotel offers period-appropriate amenities, right down to the claw-foot tubs. At night, you'll catch up on your beauty rest in plush beds, then wake to meet the day with a delicious three-course breakfast for two.
Bring your mountain bike to ride the trails of Deschutes River State Recreation Area, snaking 17 miles along an old railroad bed. For a timeless read, visit Klindt's Booksellers in The Dalles. The oldest bookstore in the Pacific Northwest, this 1870 shop stocks popular new and out-of-print titles as well as rare gems on its original bookshelves. You can also find stationery and gifts to bring home as souvenirs.
Those who'd prefer a slower pace can make arrangements in advance for an on-site massage. At dinnertime, maintain the vintage vibe with a meal at the historic Baldwin Saloon. All dishes are made from scratch, including the pastas and breads, so dig into hand-cut steaks and flavorful bouillabaisse fish stew.
If you're in the mood for some old-fashioned fun, make history of your own with this week's Escape to the Balch Hotel.
"What makes it special? The immediate curb appeal. It's a 100-year-old hotel that has been refurbished and has a beautifully maintained, large lawn and patio area."-- TripAdvisor
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Must book by May 29, 2012
- Entire value must be used in a single visit
- Reservations required and subject to availability
- Merchant cancellation/re-scheduling policy of 72 hours applies; voucher subject to forfeiture
- Not valid on existing reservations
- Based upon double occupancy
- Taxes are included
- Offer may be combined to extend stay
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON June 9, 2012 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON June 9, 2017 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON June 9, 2012 • Enjoy By June 9, 2012
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 50% savings