St. Lucia's Je Ne Sais Quoi
Fond Doux Holiday Plantation • Soufriere, Saint Lucia
- An All-Inclusive Four-Night ($720) or Five-Night ($875) Stay for Two in a One-Bedroom Cottage Between Now and December 19
- Or, an All-Inclusive Four-Night ($1,000) or Five-Night ($1,200) Stay for Two in a One-Bedroom Cottage Between January 1 and March 31
- All-Inclusive of Three Meals per Day with Drinks
It must be something in the water: St. Lucia, one of the many pint-size islands in the east Caribbean, has produced the second-largest number of Nobel laureates in the world per capita. Sure, there have been only two, but in a country a fifth the size of Rhode Island with a population a fiftieth the size of New York City, it's worth further investigation.
And it's not just the water. This lush, hilly island, awash in wildflowers and mellow music, is also the site of the iconic Piton Mountains—two isosceles volcanic plugs that were recently named a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Right between the peaks sits the 250-year-old Fond Doux Holiday Plantation, where this week's Escape takes you on an all-inclusive four-night ($720) or five-night ($875) stay for two in a one-bedroom cottage between now and December 19.
Or, begin 2013 with a bang during an all-inclusive four-night ($1,000) or five-night ($1,200) stay for two in a one-bedroom cottage between January 1 and March 31. All four options include all meals and drinks.
Choose between six cottages: Cinnamon, Hilltop Coconut, Hilltop Guava, Banana Tree, Bamboo, or African Tulip. Each rustic-chic unit is brimming with woodsy island charm, appointed with a king- or queen-size four-poster bed, black hardwood floors, and teak furniture, not to mention a deck with rain-forest views.
One of the Caribbean's oldest working plantations, Fond Doux still has about 30 organic almond, nutmeg, and cocoa trees growing on the property. Arrange a tour for a taste of the bounty. Also on-site, you'll find a three-level pool and a spa, which employs those local fruits and spices in a variety of treatments.
Off property, a veritable jungle of diversion awaits. If the water has anything to do with producing Nobel Prize winners, it would behoove you to head 15 minutes west to any number of beaches—Anse-Chastanet and Anse des Pitons to name just two. For a dose of photographic grandeur, make the two-hour hike to the top of Gros Piton, the larger of the two mountains.
Back at the plantation, you'll have two restaurants to choose from come mealtime—The Cocoa Pod and Jardin Cacao. The former serves casual, buffet-style meals of both local and international cuisine, while the latter turns up the charm with upscale fare reminiscent of the island's Creole roots. A typical dinner might include octopus-and-conch soup followed by slow-cooked chicken breast in a coconut cream sauce, plus tropical cocktails.
If all these funky French names give you pause, take heart: English is the island's official language, though you're likely to hear the patter of Patois, the local French-Creole dialect. It's just one of many exotic touches on this free-thinking, slow-paced island in the Caribbean.
"It's a completely different type of vacation experience that allows you to soak up the environment, engage local culture, and feel part of history."-- Read Fodor's Review of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Limit 1 voucher per reservation; vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; for best availability book by September 19
- Not valid on group or existing reservations
- Cancellation/re-scheduling policy of 15 days applies; voucher subject to forfeiture and fees up to the cost of three-nights
- Blackout dates 12/20-12/31/12
- Based upon double occupancy
- Airfare not included
- Must be at least 18 to check-in
- A credit card is required at booking and check-in
- Passport needed at check-in
- Non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks included, premium drinks are not included in this offer
- 10% service fee, 8% tax, incidentals and surcharge not included and will be collected at redemption
- Nights must be used consecutively
- All deal components must be redeemed during one stay
- The deal is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- PROMOTIONAL VALUE VALID ONLY FOR THE DATE RANGE SELECTED AT TIME OF PURCHASE
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON March 31, 2013 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON March 31, 2018 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON March 31, 2013 • Enjoy By March 31, 2013
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 55% savings