Taking a Bite Out of the Midwest's Mini Apple
Embassy Suites Minneapolis - North • Brooklyn Center, MN
- A One-Night Stay for Two, Thursdays to Sundays, in a King Suite
- Cooked-to-Order Breakfast for Two
- Two-Hour Manager's Reception with Cocktails and Hors D'œuvres
- Bottle of Champagne and Two Champagne Flutes
- Petite Desserts or a Cheese and Fruit Plate
They don't call Minneapolis the "Mini Apple" for nothing. There's the playful riff on the city's name, of course, but the moniker also alludes to similarities with its "Big" orchard-mate on the East Coast. Find world-class arts and entertainment, with a dash of Midwestern charm, on this week's Escape to the Embassy Suites Minneapolis - North.
Forget the city that never sleeps and bed down in a spacious two-room King Suite ($124), equipped with a wet bar, mini refrigerator, microwave, two flat-panel TVs, and more. During your stay, enjoy the two-hour manager's reception with cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, a sampling of petite desserts or a fruit and cheese plate, a bottle of champagne with two wine flutes, and a cooked-to-order breakfast.
The hotel, just eight miles from downtown Minneapolis, is located in—ahem—Brooklyn Center, base of operations for the acclaimed Surly Brewing Company. Though the name may evoke New York City attitude, the brewery is a locally grown affair founded by a Minnesota native. Check the website well in advance to join a free tour and tasting.
Of course, you'll also want to visit Minneapolis proper, and there's no better place to start than the 11-acre Walker Art Center. Considered one of the nation's "big five" museums for modern art (an elite crew that includes NYC's MoMA), the institution boasts an internationally regarded collection of some 11,000 works.
The city also offers more theater seats per capita than anywhere outside of New York; standouts include the Guthrie Theater, one of only three in the US to attract London's Royal Shakespeare Company, and the Fitzgerald Theater, host of Minnesota Public Radio's A Prairie Home Companion.
Come mealtime, Hell's Kitchen (by coincidence, the name of a neighborhood in you-know-where) wins points for locally beloved eats like State Fair Cheese Curds. In the Warehouse District, James Beard Foundation–lauded 112 Eatery serves stylish comfort cuisine; think monkfish posole, and tagliatelle with foie gras meatballs. End your night with the World's Most Dangerous Polka Band at the throwback Nye's Polonaise Room, a neighborhood fixture since 1950 that Esquire magazine once dubbed the best bar in America.
With this week's Escape, discover what Minneapolis residents already know—the Mini Apple's attractions more than hold their own against the Big guys.
"Minneapolis is the artiest town on the prairie—a cache of coffee shops, organic and ethnic eateries, swank art museums, and enough theaters to be nicknamed Mini-Apple (second only to the Big Apple, New York City). It’s always happenin’, even in winter."-- Lonely Planet
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Limit three per purchaser, up to three additional as gifts
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required; subject to availability
- Not valid on existing reservations
- Merchant cancellation/re-scheduling policy of 7 days in advance of scheduled arrival; voucher subject to forfeiture
- Blackout dates: February 16-18, 2012, March 30-31, 2012
- Taxes and gratuities paid separately
- Must be 21 years of age or older to drink the champagne
- All deal components must be redeemed during one stay
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON April 30, 2012 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON April 30, 2017 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON April 30, 2012 • Enjoy By April 30, 2012
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 0% savings