The Stylish, Refined Side of Santa Cruz
Hotel Paradox • Santa Cruz, CA
- A One-Night Stay for Two in a Deluxe King Room, Sundays through Thursdays ($112) or Fridays or Saturdays ($133)
- $20 Food-and-Beverage Credit
Long the province of surfers, students, and crunchy granola types, Santa Cruz has recently opened a new, more sophisticated chapter in its collective composition. Taking a page from the book of its Bay Area brethren, this perennially laid-back college town about 75 miles south of San Francisco is becoming a top-notch food-and-wine destination, with chic cocktail bars sprouting up alongside farm-to-fork restaurants.
Another addition to the city's all-grown-up persona is the Hotel Paradox, a brand new 164-room boutique hotel downtown. With this Escape, you'll get a one-night stay for two in a Deluxe King room, Sundays through Thursdays ($112) or Fridays or Saturdays ($133), plus a $20 food-and-beverage voucher.
Influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright's affinity for designing indoor spaces with an outdoor aesthetic, the Hotel Paradox draws inspiration from the surrounding Santa Cruz Mountains; check out the front desk, which is made of a huge eucalyptus log. Each room features a rough-hewn wood-panel wall, a flat-screen TV, an iPod dock, and minimalist yet stylish furnishings.
After a dip in the heated outdoor pool, around which sit private cabanas and a hot tub, head inside for a drink and a bite at Solaire Restaurant Bar, which serves creative takes on American comfort food. Most of the ingredients are sourced locally, and all of the seafood is fresh off the line.
At night, head for Moe's Alley, an intimate music hall buzzing with blues, jazz, reggae, or rock six nights a week. For cocktails, try an Apio Gimlet—that's tequila, celery juice, and lime—at the sultry restaurant and bar Oswald. Those who enjoy dancing should head to Palomar Ballroom, host of a variety of dance classes and socials, from salsa to swing to tango.
And lest you think you're living it up in some cosmopolitan metropolis like New York, head 30 minutes north to Año Nuevo State Reserve, where you'll find the world's largest elephant seal breeding ground, or to Big Basin Redwoods State Park, the oldest state park in California and home of the largest stand of coastal redwoods south of San Francisco.
On your way out of town, go for a wine tasting at Bonny Doon Vineyard, a biodynamic winery just off Highway 1. Yet another element of Santa Cruz that will appeal to the refined among us, it's the perfect cap to a uniquely California vacation.
For additional information, visit Hotel Paradox on Facebook.
"The Hotel Paradox capitalizes on the hip, laid-back vibe of a small-town surf community but also kicks it up a notch with modern, eco-savvy features, like a check-in desk crafted from a fallen eucalyptus tree."-- Read Fodor's Review of The Hotel Paradox
escapes 30-day promise
LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused voucher for a full refund. Once you've made a reservation, you are subject to the merchant's cancellation and refund policy. If you want to secure your preferred dates of travel, we strongly recommend that you complete reservation with the merchant within 30 days of your purchase—after that, LivingSocial will not issue any refunds.
the fine print
- Travel must be completed by May 1, 2013
- Entire value must be used in a single visit
- Limit 1 per purchaser, up to 1 additional as a gift
- Limit 1 per reservation
- Not valid on existing reservations
- Reservations required and subject to availability
- Cancellation/re-scheduling policy of 72 hours applies; voucher subject to forfeiture
- Based upon double occupancy
- Taxes/Resort fees not included; payable directly to the property
- Blackout dates include, but not limited to, November 21-25, 2012; December 20-31, 2012; January 18-20,201; and February 14-18, 2013
- Property is all non-smoking
- Pets are not allowed
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON March 27, 2013 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON March 27, 2018 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON March 27, 2013 • Enjoy By March 27, 2013
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms
- 45% savings