Taiwan Lantern Festival: An Enlightening Adventure
- A Ten-Day Trip to the Taiwan Lantern Festival ($2,999 per Person), Including:
- Round-Trip Flights from Los Angeles or San Francisco to Taipei, Courtesy of Eva Air
- Double-Occupancy Accommodations for Three Nights in a Standard Room at Howard Plaza Hotel or Similar in Taipei; Two Nights in a Mountain View Room at Fleur De Chine Hotel or Similar in Sun Moon Lake; One Night in a Standard Room at Grand Hi-Lai Hotel or Similar in Kaohsiung; One Night in a Standard Room at the Naruwan Hotel or similar in Taitung; One Night in a Standard Room at Silks Place Taroko Hotel or Similar in Hualien
- Eight Breakfasts
- Local English-Speaking Tour Guide
- Ground Transportation and Sightseeing Tours as Specified In Itinerary
- All Taxes, Fees, and Carrier-Imposed Surcharges Included
- Priced per Person Based on Double Occupancy (See Fine Print)
Soaring fireworks erupt overhead, and the dense crowd surrounding you roars with excitement. You join in, blissfully smiling and clapping, fully immersed in the awe-inspiring Taiwanese celebration. Brilliant light displays and dazzling lasers twinkle in the moonlight. A voice booms over the speakers playing jovial music—the moment has arrived. With your neighbor's torch, you light the paper lantern you made earlier that day. Within moments, thousands of illuminated lanterns are lifted into the air, creating a mesmerizing sea of lights dancing toward the stars. You let go and watch as your lantern joins them, drifting further from sight. Your wishes and prayers, scrawled on the side of the lantern, rise up with it. It's going to be a good year.
Held on the first full-moon night of the lunar year, the Taiwan Lantern Festival is an ancient celebration like none other. Let Globotours light the way with this ten-day trip to Taipei, Sun Moon Lake, Kaohsiung, Taitung, and Hualien for the Taiwan Lantern Festival:
day 1: Board your overnight flight in Los Angeles or San Francisco to Taipei, Taiwan.
day 2: Uncover a cultural kaleidoscope in Taiwan, an island where incense-veiled temples of the dynastic times blend seamlessly with restless city streets alive with innovation and excitement. Upon arrival at Taoyuan International Airport, you will be met and transferred to your hotel for check-in. Spend the day at your leisure exploring Taipei, a high-tech haven buzzing at all hours of the day. Be sure to visit the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, where an incredible lantern installation is erected in the middle of the plaza in the theme of the Chinese horoscope sign of the year—the horse.
Overnight at Howard Plaza.
day 3: After a leisurely morning, travel to the heartland of Taiwan—Nantou County—where you'll encounter the hub of activities for the Lantern Festival. On your arrival, check in to the hotel. Spend the evening enjoying the festivities, celebrated with a prominent display of cultural and folk traditions. Find inspiration in the glittering, ornate lanterns filling the city streets before crafting your own lantern to be released among a throng of lights later that evening.
Overnight at Fleur De Chine. Breakfast provided.
day 4: Tour the unmatched attractions of Sun Moon Lake—its name derived from its geographic features, the east side resembling the sun and the west side resembling the moon. Highlights include the Wenwu Temple—dedicated to Confucius as Master of Pen and to Kuan Ti as Master of Sword—as well as the Holy Monk Shrine and Tse-En Pagoda.
Overnight at Fleur De Chine. Breakfast provided.
day 5: Begin your day at the holy site of Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Monastery, which emulates the Buddha's spirit of equality. Learn about Buddhism during the monastery walking tour followed by a chance to communicate with some of the monks and nuns during the visit to the Main Shrine, Great Buddha Land, where you will find a huge Buddha statue. Next, you'll be taken to Kaohsiung City, which is the second-largTreest city of Taiwan. The tour will take you to the Former British Consulate, Love River, and Lio Ho Night Market.
Overnight at Grand Hi-Lai Hotel. Breakfast provided.
day 6: Take a morning tour to Kenting National Park, located at Taiwan's southern tip, surrounded by 37 miles of coral-rimmed shoreline. Stop at Oluanpi lighthouse, the Maopitou coast scenic area, and Kenting Forest recreation area. The day will end in Taitung, where you will spend the night.
Overnight at Naruwan Hotel. Breakfast provided.
day 7: Venture through "Taiwan's last unspoiled land" with a tour of East Coast National Scenic Area tour. Weathering, erosion, and accumulation have produced a wide range of landforms here. The tour will stop at Siaoyeliou, Sansientai, Stone Steps, and Caves of the Eight Immortals. Later in the afternoon, proceed to Hualien for an overnight stay.
Overnight at Silks Place Taroko. Breakfast provided.
day 8: Spend the entire day visiting Taroko National Park. Taroko Gorge is an exceptionally beautiful, narrow gorge created by a river that cut deep into the mountains of solid marble. A road, carved into sheer walls of rock, snakes its way past forested peaks and towering cliffs, while a river roars past gigantic marble boulders many feet below it. Stops will be made at Eternal Spring Shrine, Swallow Grotto, Nine Turns of Tunnel, Marble Bridge, Tienshiang, and a marble factory. After that , you'll be taken back to Taipei and will arrive around 7 p.m.
Overnight at Howard Plaza. Breakfast provided.
day 9: Take a comprehensive tour of Taipei, including the impressive Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall and the National Palace Museum, featuring 5,000 years of Chinese imperial arts and jade. Next, travel to what was once the center of gold mining in Taiwan—Chiufen Village. The gold is gone, but these quaint old villages, built of closely packed houses clinging to steep mountainsides, continue to offer enchanting scenery and fascinating glimpses into the lifestyles of the past. Proceed via bus to the northeast coast, noted for its numerous capes and bays backed by green mountains. You'll stop to see the Nanya rock formations before returning to Taipei in the afternoon. Tonight, use your free time to visit the Lantern Festival in Taipei or Taipei's night markets.
Overnight at Howard Plaza. Breakfast provided.
day 10: Spend the day at your leisure until your departure transfer to the airport for your return home. Much like releasing your lantern, you must bid Taiwan farewell. But you're unmatched memories of the Lantern Festival will blaze on for eternity.
Los Angeles (LAX) departures: February 13 or 20 ($2,999)
San Francisco (SFO) departures: February 14 or 21 ($2,999)
*Priced per person based on double occupancy (See Fine Print)
"With a pulsating modern capital, temple towns, hot-springs villages, and adventures in both shopping malls and wooded mountains, Taiwan cuts a figure as one of Asia's most diverse destinations.”-- Lonely Planet
escapes 30-day promise
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; must be booked by December 4, 2013
- Not valid toward existing or room block reservations
- Merchants cancellation policy applies. For more information, please see globotours.net/Terms.aspx
- Upon confirmation of your reservation, vouchers will be considered used and 100% non-refundable
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy (two people sharing a room). Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the hotel. Single occupancy requires an additional fee of $750
- Includes Double-Occupancy Accommodations for Three Nights in a Standard Room at Howard Plaza Hotel in Taipei; Two Nights in a Mountain View Room at Fleur De Chine Hotel in Sun Moon Lake; One Night in a Standard Room at Grand Hi-Lai Hotel in Kaohsiung; One Night in a Standard Room at the Naruwan Hotel in Taitung; One Night in a Standard Room at Silks Place Taroko Hotel in Hualien, Eight Breakfasts, Local English-Speaking Tour Guide , Ground Transportation and Sightseeing Tours as Specified In Itinerary, all taxes, fees and carrier-imposed surcharges
- Does not include passport and visa fees (if applicable), meals and beverages other than specified, personal and baggage insurance, gratuities to drivers, local guides and costs for anything not specified on the deal
- Review the State Department's website for passport/visa requirements and important announcements before traveling to your destination
- Passports are required for all international destinations with a minimum validity of 6 months beyond the completion of your trip & sufficient blank pages for visas and immigrations stamps. Passengers are solely responsible for all their travel requirements
- For Non- US passport holders, please contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the country or countries to be visited and obtain the specific requirements for entry
- All other major US airports available for a surcharge to be collected at time of booking
- Rates for extra nights are available upon request. Standard merchant surcharge applies per way if you deviate from the package
- Stays must be completed within date range purchased
- Offer valid for new bookings only and cannot be combined with other discounts
- Nights must be spent consecutively; all inclusions must be redeemed during one stay
- The promotional value is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON February 21, 2014 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON February 21, 2019 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON February 21, 2014 • Enjoy By February 21, 2014
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms