From Quito to the Amazon in Ecuador, Plus Flights
Gate 1 Travel •
- A Nine-Day Guided Tour of Ecuador ($1,199 per Person), Including:
- Round-Trip Flights from Miami to Quito via LAN Airlines
- Two Nights at the Hilton Colon Quito in Quito, One Night at the Cabañas del Lago in Otavalo, One Night at Termas Papallacta in Papallacta, Two Nights at La Casa del Suizo in the Amazon, and One Night at Hacienda Manteles in Baños
- Seven Breakfasts, Four Lunches, and Five Dinners
- In-Country Ground Transfers Between the Airport, Hotel, and Sightseeing Destinations
- English-Speaking Guide Throughout
- Entrance and Admission Fees to Sightseeing Destinations per Itinerary
- Airline Taxes, Fuel Surcharges, and Hotel Fees
- Priced per Person Based on Double Occupancy
Tucked in its own private corner of South America, Ecuador is one of the continent's hidden treasures—a world of mountain-ringed metropolises, colorful indigenous outposts, and remote swaths of Amazonian jungle that straddle the line between reality and fantasy.
Ecuador's lifeblood is the Napo River—an Amazon tributary that cuts like an aquatic artery through the Ecuadorian jungle, past giant kapok trees wrapped in vines, shimmering waterfalls hissing down in sheets, and enough unique wildlife (including jaguars, tapirs, eagles, and anacondas) to fill their own field guide.
Beyond the reach of the jungle, the cultural ecosystems in Ecuador's cities and villages are just as dense. In the capital city of Quito, 16th-century cathedrals with intricate gold-leaf interiors overlook plazas teeming with stylish locals and worldly tourists. Just outside the city, a ring of active volcanoes (including Cotopaxi, the highest active volcano in the world) gurgle and sputter.
Farther afield, the beaded, braided indigenous residents of Otavalo haggle and dance to Andean pipe music in the town's open-air crafts market, and weary trekkers envelope themselves in the steam of natural hot springs in the village of Baños.
day 1: Depart the USA for Ecuador. Arrive in Quito and transfer to your hotel. The Quito airport is approximately a one- to two-hour drive from the city. Spend the rest of the day at leisure.
Overnight at the Hilton Colon Quito.
day 2: The morning's tour begins with a visit to the colonial section of Quito to walk along the narrow cobblestone streets and feel the charm of 16th-century Quito. See the Independence Plaza, the Cathedral, Presidential Palace, and the Archbishop's Palace before visiting La Compañia Church or the Church of San Francisco. Afterward, see the Middle of the World Monument, located at a latitude of 0º, and stand with one foot in the Northern and one in the Southern Hemisphere. This afternoon, transfer by bus to Otavalo. This evening, enjoy an orientation meeting with your tour manager, followed by a welcome dinner.
Overnight at Cabañas del Lago. Breakfast and dinner provided.
day 3: This morning, enjoy a tour of the market in Otavalo. Run by the local Otavaleño Indians, it's one of the largest markets in South America. Here, enjoy the lively market atmosphere and browse the various stalls for traditional goods such as handwoven clothes and rugs, jewelry, fruits, vegetables, and more. Then, visit the surrounding towns of Cotacachi, known for its leather handicrafts, and Peguche, known for its beautiful waterfall. This afternoon, transfer to Papallacta, located in the Andes Mountains. The balance of the day is at leisure to explore Papallacta's spas and hot springs, for which it is famous
Overnight at Termas Papallacta. Breakfast and dinner provided.
day 4: After breakfast, transfer by bus to La Punta Ahuano on the Napo River, where you will board a canoe that will take you to your Amazon lodge. Enjoy the serene tranquility that the lodge has to offer and prepare to be amazed by both the wildlife and the culture inherent to the Amazon. In the afternoon, visit Ahuano to have the opportunity to meet a local Quechua family and learn about their way of life first hand before returning to the hotel.
Overnight at La Casa del Suizo. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 5: This morning, you can hike to the Napo river for approximately two hours while viewing the beautiful flora and fauna up close. The Amazon rainforest is the world's largest ecosystem, so be sure to keep an eye out for the innumerable species of tropical plants and flowers, insects, and butterflies. Enjoy the views as you cross suspended bridges and fly through the jungle on a short zip-line basket ride. At the end of the hike, enjoy a rafting trip on a traditional balsa log raft. Enjoy the afternoon at leisure, and consider a visit to the butterfly farm.
Overnight at La Casa del Suizo. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 6: This morning, board a canoe for the short trip to La Punta Ahuano and drive to El Paillon del Diablo—"The Devil's Cauldron"—one of Ecuador's most beautiful waterfalls. Continue to Baños to see the magnificient Church and Plaza. You will also be treated to a demonstration on vegetable ivory, a traditional craft that utilizes palm nuts to make jewelry and animal carvings. In the late afternoon, check in to your hotel in Baños. Enjoy the balance of the day at leisure.
Overnight at Hacienda Manteles. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
day 7: Today, enjoy a visit to the Hacienda La Cienega, one of the oldest and most historical haciendas in Ecuador, belonging to the descendants of Marques of Maenza since the 17th century. Offering spectacular views to the Cotopaxi National Park and volcano, in the background. Enjoy lunch before visiting a local rose plantation where you can see one of Ecuador's most aromatic exports.
Overnight at the Hilton Colon Quito. Breakfast and lunch provided.
day 8: After breakfast, enjoy a day at leisure in Quito before taking a late-evening transfer to the airport for your flight back to the USA.
day 9: Arrive in Miami.
Miami (MIA) departures ($1,199): September 2, September 9, September 16, September 23, October 7, October 14, October 21, October 28, November 4, November 18, or December 9
"The eye-catching colors of Ecuador leap out from every corner of its diverse landscape, from fluttering rainbow-hued macaw wings in the Amazonian jungle to the calm, dazzling blue lakes of the Andean sierra."-- Frommer's
escapes 30-day promise
the fine print
- Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
- Reservations required and subject to availability; must be made by June 4, 2014
- Not valid toward existing or room block reservations
- Voucher is valid for one person only
- Must be 18 or older to check-in; 8 to travel
- When purchasing and gifting vouchers please list name as it is listed on their passport
- Rates are per person based on double occupancy. Each of two guests must purchase an Escape and arrange to stay together at the hotel. Single occupancy requires an additional fee of $150 due at booking
- Merchant cancellation policy applies. For more information, please see www.gate1travel.com/terms.aspx#CANCELLATION
- Upon confirmation, voucher will be considered used and 100% non-refundable and airfare in non-refundable once ticketed
- Includes Two Nights at the Hilton Colon Quito in Quito, One Night at the Cabañas del Lago in Otavalo, One Night at Termas Papallacta in Papallacta, Two Nights at La Casa del Suizo in the Amazon, and One Night at Hacienda Manteles in Baños, Seven Breakfasts, Four Lunches, and Five Dinners, In-Country Ground Transfers Between the Airport, Hotel, and Sightseeing Destinations, English-Speaking Guide Throughout, Entrance and Admission Fees to Sightseeing Destinations per Itinerary, Airline Taxes, Fuel Surcharges, and Hotel Fees
- Does not include Quito taxes of up to $3, optional tours, gratuities, personal or baggage insurance, meals or drinks not specified in the itinerary, other personal expenses, passport and visa fees
- Hotels of a similar standard may be substituted
- Passengers traveling abroad require a passport valid for six months beyond their travel dates. All travelers are responsible to check if a visa is required for all countries on their itinerary. For visa information, check Gate 1's Visa page
- Review the State Department's website for passport/visa requirements and important announcements before traveling to your destination
- Due to physical constraints and space limitations, wheelchairs, walkers and motorized scooters may not be taken aboard motor coaches, nor are these devices suitable for touring. These devices may be utilized in public spaces such as airports, however may not be used while sightseeing
- The promotional value is valid only for date range purchased and may not be exchanged or redeemed for any other dates
- Other conditions apply • PAID AND PROMOTIONAL VALUES EXPIRES ON December 9, 2014 • PAID VALUE DOES NOT EXPIRE • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON December 9, 2019 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON December 9, 2014 • Enjoy By December 9, 2014
Other conditions apply
Except where noted in the fine print:
• Tax and gratuity are not included
• Merchant is responsible for the quality of the products or services provided to you at redemption
• LivingSocial Terms and Conditions - https://www.livingsocial.com/terms